1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iranian Won't Swim With a Jew.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 23, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

WE toppled a democratically elected Iranian government and installed the Shah.

WE offered the Shah a haven when his regime was overturned.

The hostage situation was in direct response to OUR actions, whether you believe them justifiable or not.

Just because someone reacts when we try to move chess pieces all over the world does NOT make them "terrorists."

And so do/have we.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Please to show me where I used the word "Republican" in my post.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We put the Shah in power in the 1950s. Pretty ancient history. And it was your liberal poster boy, Jimmy Carter, who offered him the haven.
    In the here and now, Iran is a dangerous country. But if you think it's such a nirvana, and we're the evil empire, well, feel free to migrate there. I'm you'll enjoy all the internet access and freedom to criticize the government over there in the same manner you're allowed to do so here.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I was wondering when they "Well if it's so wonderful over there, why don't you move there?" argument was going to appear.

Well done.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There are two options here:

1) This is the choice of one person. Any person who refuses to swim against another for this reason deserves to be condemned.

2) Considering it happened in 2004 as well, it is policy. That's even worse.

There's a reason Israel competes in European zones, unlike every other nation around it.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, in other news, Iraq has been banned from competing in the Olympics:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3503100

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

C'mon, you don't think we see how you so deviously hid it in the subtext.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It is hondo. This is the same person who calls an entire generation dumb and then posts a story about driving home when he would have blown a .16 if he had been caught.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Maybe they can just capture and shoot or behead the Israeli Olympian. Oh wait. They've tried that before.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Back about 75 years ago, John McLendon was a grad student at Kansas. He was being taught by physical education by Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball.

McLendon was the first black grad student in PE at Kansas. One of the class requirements was to pass a swimming class, but they didn't want him to swim in the poll (because of course, we were stupid back then). He ignored the request and went swimming anyway.

Later in the day, McLendon went back by the pool, only to find the maintenance staff draining it.

McLendon told them, "Are you going to drain it again tomorrow after I take my swimming class?"

The next day, McLendon did indeed go swimming in the pool during class and the staff did not drain the pool.

History will show that the end result is that Kansas University is still there, Lawrence hasn't been blown to hell or obliterated with a virus. (of course, it is kind of in the middle of nowhere).

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

She doesn't understand what all the fuss is:

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

This story seems farfetched....everyone knows that blacks don't swim.

Draft saved Draft deleted