1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iranian douche: We Have No Gays (not live ones anyway)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Sep 26, 2007.

1. SID_B ...

Also sorry I couldn't find a better link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297982,00.html

But Ahmadinejad's flip follow-up answer to the question posed to him Monday at Columbia University — "We do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who has told you that we have" — suggests he won't take the issue seriously.

Human rights groups have long railed against the Iranian government's persecution of gays, which Ettelbrick calls "a campaign by the government to draw attention to the risks of people expressing their sexuality." Some believe that repression has only worsened since Ahmadinejad became president.

"When I first heard his comments yesterday, I laughed," said Arsham Parsi, founder of the Toronto-based Iranian Queer Organization.

"But after I thought about it, I realized this is really a very strong statement. By denying we exist, he does not even acknowledge that we have human rights."

2. The Iranian Queer Organization?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Kinda catchy, isn't it?

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If the Iranian goverment has this kind of stance on homosexuality, why does the religious right in this country have a problem with Iran and its president?
    Sounds like their kind of place. They're just praying to a different god.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

The direction this thread has taken following the initial post is the last straw.

6. Hmmm, guess it's possible my comment may have come out more offensive than I intended it to be. I really was just trying to point out Sportsbruh's hypocrisy ... he's always calling everyone racists yet doesn't mind calling someone else a slur ...

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If it makes you feel any better, I got what you were going for.

8. Thanks. :D

9. dmc

dmc Guest

I heard the clip on the radio. The response to his comment was amazing. It was as if a comedian had just told a joke. I wonder if that reaction had an effect on him or did he totally miss the point.

Draft saved Draft deleted