1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran: More gunboat diplomacy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Oct 25, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Watch that "Frontline" doc I posted when you have some time, Lyman, honest. It's neither inflammatory nor partisan, and to your point above illustrates that we actually haven't been talking to Iran when we should have.

Having invaded countries on both sides of them - and after receiving a certain amount of help from them in Afghanistan - we stopped talking to them almost entirely.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From the column I linked earlier...

3. http://frum.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZTIzMGE5NTRiMTJmNjFkYzEzYTcxZDZmYTE0ZmNhNzM=

Of course, people will cite the source, but it's just a different set of biases.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm drawing a blank on when an Iranian agent committed a terrorist attack on US soil as Frum wrote. Is he referencing the first WTC attack or something?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Frum piece still doesn't offer a plausible rationale for war. It's certainly a stern call for relentless and aggressive diplomacy - which this administration has yet to engage in - but no more.

When did we decide as a country that pre-emptive aggression was the only answer to the world's issues? January 20, 2001?

Simple-minded madness.

6. I know it won't matter, but I lived for 40 years with a couple of thousand nukes aimed at me and never yelled or hid under the bed, so I'm not worried about the military might of a country with an economy smaller than Finland.
    And I'm still waiting for the casus belli as regards the US.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I guess heaven needed a casus belli.

Because the concept appears dead and buried down here.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I look forward to meeting five causi belli on the streets made o' oil gold.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Casus belli? We don't need no stinking casus belli!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

We didn't. The Neocon cultists decided that years ago.
    If Bush invades Iran without congressional authorization, he should be removed from power.
    I just don't know if it can be done.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm hoping the opposition from the military will be too much.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Invading Iran would make the disastrous 4-year quagmire in Iraq look like a cakewalk. Iran has 3 times the population, at least 3 times the land mass, and about 10 times the military strength that Iraq did in 03.

With our military already stretched and depleted from Iraq/Afgh and our dollar currently plunging to historic lows, could we really be dumb enough to start something like that right now?

Draft saved Draft deleted