1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod vs. Zune

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 24, 2006.

?

Should I keep the iPod that I'm getting for Christmas or get a Zune (FYI, I have no Mac products)?

1. Keep it

16 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Trade it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I feel very conflicted, so I turn to you, my fellow SportsJournalists.com colleagues. What ever should I do?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In my experience, iPods run as well if not better with Windows computers than they do with Macs.

Strangely, Microsoft's Zune is not compatible with Microsoft's PlaysForSure DRM. The WiFi feature that lets Zune users share music is crippled --- three plays fo a song (even just partial plays of a few seconds), or three days, then it's gone forever. And the Zune can't sync with its host computer via its built-in WiFi; to me, it seems mildly stupid to build in WiFi and then not let it be used logically.

At the very least, keep the iPod and wait until Zune 2.0.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Keep the ipod.

They work just fine with PC's.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

Go with the Ipod. Plus, Microsoft is wac.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Thanks guys & gals (if applicable). I think I'll be keeping the iPod. Everyone have a safe and Merry Christmas.

6. Ipod vs. Zune is like the Globetrotters against the Washington Generals. If we sent Ipods to Iran, this whole nuclear crisis thing would be over.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just got my second iPod, running on Windows.

Have yet to hear a single positive thing about the Zune.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

iPods are beneficiaries/victims of Apple's continual updating. There's a new line coming out every six months, it seems. Buy one expecting it to be state of the art, and the new line will have some new gadget -- still can't believe someone would find 80 gigs of stuff to put on one, though.

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I had this conversation with a friend last night. I've got three iPods -- a Mini and two Nanos -- and I just don't see how the Zune has a chance of competing in this market. People love their iPods and they certainly aren't going to want to move all their music out of iTunes.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If I may ask - why three? Home, work, road? One for workouts. Not saying this in a "what the fuck" way - I'm just curious.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i have three too

an old one, that sits stable at home in a speaker system. hardly used, really.

and the two current ones -- biggie and smalls. the 30 gig and the 1 gig nano. the 30 gig is the mainstay, but i use the shit outta the 1 gig nano. i update it every day with my podcasts (npr has some great ones -- especially now with this american life) and use it in my car. i have an adapter in the car that is just awesome. except, with biggie, it takes too long to find what i want. with smalls? easy as pie. plus, i use smalls in the airport and biggie on the plane because of the battery life difference

and 80 gigs? if i had that much hard drive space on my computer, i could fill the ipod pretty easily.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just got a 4 gig creative zen V. I could not be happier. It was WMA read so there was no software to load. It automaticaly loaded all my music.

I looked at the Zune but thought is was just too big if you were only going to use for music.

Hoops bring up interesting question as the memory of these players gets bigger. To put 30 gigs on your ipod means that you have your computer loaded up with 30 gigs of music.

On a lap top that's a huge amount of memory. I would venture to say more than most have.

Has anyone tryed loading their music to a "stick" to preseerve memory on laptop?

Draft saved Draft deleted