1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod Touch vs. iPhone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Nov 11, 2008.

1. dieditor

dieditor Member

I guess it depends on where you live. I've been with AT&T on the west coast for seven years now, and they keep improving the coverage. I just bought the iPhone 3G and the service is the best yet. I didn't even know my area was a 3G spot, but now if I leave town and go to a non-3G area I can totally tell the difference.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Coverage is not the only issue with AT&T. Others here have complained about the shitty customer service. (hi IJAG!)

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had logged in before you added the (hi IJAG) part.

let me just say this: If AT&T called me, offered me an iPhone and they would pay ME to use it...I'd have to think about it. It was THAT bad.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Typing on touch-screens sucks.

But on a cross-country flight this summer, I watched "Semi-Pro" and "I Am Legend" on it. So it's got that going for it.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Ditto. I am very interested in upgrading to a Touch though.

6. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

I have a Touch. It's sweet (and jailbroken, which makes it even better). I use it all the time, and trying to find hotspots typically isn't a problem, especially in cities. I use it the most around the house, though, where wifi definitely isn't a problem.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only negative of the iPhone is the monthly cost, which is about $100 a month if I'm not mistaken.

I just got an iPod touch a couple weeks ago. The clarity of the screen is just amazing and it's considerably larger than the regular video iPod. As someone else said, you need wireless access to use the Internet, but it is free.

The touch isn't as mobile as the regular iPod. I don't think I would be comfortable using it as the one that I use when I work out. But for watching TV shows and movies on the go, it's just amazing. You also don't need headphones, which is really nice as well.

8. I had a first-gen iPhone, so the data package was only an extra $20 a month. I've been with AT&T for years, and I've never had any coverage or customer service problems. They've always been great with me.

I don't have small fingers either, but I got to the point where I could burn pretty fast on the keyboard. Plus the automatic misspelling corrections on the phone are awesome. You could type some gibberish and it would correct it to the word you wanted.

Since then, however, my iPhone got into a fight with Dr. Pepper and lost valiantly.

9. dieditor

dieditor Member

I'll give you that, customer service DOES suck. I wasn't eligible for an upgrade, so buying my 3G was going to cost me a bundle, but by being an asshole to AT&T and ultimately finding a sympathetic manager, I got what I wanted.

Amazing what will happen when you say the words "T-Mobile looks good right now."

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That last statement is a bald-faced lie. T-Mobile sucks so hard I'm going back to Nextel.

11. dieditor

dieditor Member

I've heard that, actually. I just wanted a cheaper phone. I would have said the Zack Morris Wireless Network looked good if it worked.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What's the advantage for jailbreaking an iPod Touch?

Draft saved Draft deleted