1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod Touch vs. iPhone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Was at the Apple store earlier today. Didn't realize just how similar the iPod Touch was to the iPhone. Now I'm thinking of getting one, but I have a couple questions.

I like that the Touch has Internet capabilities. Obviously with the iPhone, you don't need a hot spot, but is that that big a problem?

Is there anything else that the iPhone has that the Touch doesn't offer?

Lastly, is there a word processing application for Touch/iPhone?

2. Not trying to sound like a prick, but it's a phone, too. I've never seen the point of the touch. Spend the same or a little more money and get a phone, too.

3. Freelance Hack

The iPhone has a phone? That's some coincidence!

Actually, I already have a phone that's paid for by my employer. I'd rather not have to pay for another phone, unless I get value for my purchase.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've got a first-gen iPhone. It is awesome. Phone, web brower, e-mail connection, iPod and about 10 applications I've downloaded in one neat package.

Drawback to getting the iPhone instead of the Touch is having to sign up for cell service. If you've got a phone already, then the Touch might be a cheaper option since you don't have to pay AT&T each month.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You can get the touch with a 32GB hard drive (16's the biggest on the iPhone), and it's cheaper to get the 8 and 16 touch than the iPhone, of course.

With the iPhone, you have to commit not only to AT&T's fail-ass cell service, you also have to add on like a $60/month data package. Apparently the new iPhone is a better phone and having the 3G network is nice. That said, if you're okay with your phone, as well as carrying around two phone-sized gadgets, get the touch. I've had mine for close to a year and it's been one of my best purchases in years.

6. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

If you're in the market for a phone (touchscreen + smartphone) and can switch carriers, may want to try this..

http://estore.vzwshop.com/storm/

Its due out in about 2 weeks. It's functionality blows the iPhone away. It's probably not as multimedia friendly as the iPhone (Limited iTunes compatability), but it does a lot of other things better. Runs apps in the background (ie: If you have an iPhone and are running AIM and close it out, you do not get notified when you receive an IM, whereas BlackBerry pushes it to your phone - as does email, etc). Also seems that they keyboard would be much better on the Berry, and it does support Excel, Word and PowerPoint with DocsToGo software.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I hate touch screens and I fear I am doomed, since it seems to be the way things are going. I can type very fast on a Blackberry but can't type my own name on an iPhone. Ugh.

8. Freelance Hack

I was surprised how well I did on the iTouch screen when I played with it, and I'm not a guy with little dainty pianist fingers. I basically have claws with bratwursts protruding from them.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Maybe the problem is that I have dainty pianist fingers and longish nails...

(The claws with bratwurst protruding from them is a great visual, BTW.)

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Unless you think AT&T's cellular service blows. Some of us are perfectly happy with our non-AT&T cell-phone service.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Actually, the data plan is half of what you wrote. If you have AT&T, then you can simply add the data plan for $30 (for the new 3G phones) or $20 (for the first gen iPhone).

I love the phone, love it.

To answer the question on "hot spot" service... I would say that there just aren’t as many hot spots as you would think. Sure, if I'm walking around in Manhattan I’ll pick up plenty, but 90% will be locked residential connections.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I do, one reason why I'll never buy an iPhone.

While it was fine driving or walking around town, I rarely got through a conversation at home without a dropped call. If the weather was nice or I really needed to get a hold of someone, I'd stick my head out the living room window. No fucking lie.

Draft saved Draft deleted