1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ipod shopping help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenlantern, Dec 4, 2009.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

So my 5G iPod Video (30 GB) is on its last legs. The headphone jack is almost shot and the battery barely holds a charge. I'm about to replace it with an iPod Touch, but I'm not sure what size to get. Will the 32 GB hold plenty of apps, or do apps take up a lot of space. Also, where should I buy it from? Any online stores that are reputable and have good deals?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Apps are small. Don't take up a lot of space. Bigger issues are: 1) How much music you have. That will fill up the drive space. 2) Are you going to add a lot of video (bigger files than music) and photos?

Even if you compress your video files and resize them for the Ipod Touch screen or if you buy or download TV shows or movies that are cut down to size for the touch screen, it doesn't take a ton of them to fill up the drive.

It's not a big deal if you don't need to carry around all of your music and videos with you at all times. You can decide what to sync with the touch in iTunes, and say, only add a few videos at a time and then remove them when you don't want them on there anymore.

But the apps themselves? They don't take up much space.

3. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

On another note, a new battery costs about $7 on ebay and a headphone jack about $9. Do-it-yourself replacement really isn't all that difficult. I've replaced Ipod hard drives, converted a 30 gig to a 60, replaced video screens, batteries, faulty headphone jacks, etc. You can do it. Video instructions are on the internets.

Just offering an option.

4. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Anybody know how much space is left on the 32GB ipod touch after you take into account all the software that's on it at purchase?

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Not sure about current-gen iPod touches, but I have a first-gen 16GB that weighed in around 14.5 or so when I took possession. So probably 1.5-2GB, depending on if the newer ones have more software incorporated.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I believe mine had somewhere around 29.5 GB of available space.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have an 8GB iPhone and have added about 10 apps to it and still have about 6.5 GB left of space. I already have a 120 GB iPod so I don't have much need to put my music on it, but the apps don't take much space. Plus, if you surf the iTunes App Store, it'll tell you how much space they'll take up.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I got a 16 GB Touch as a gift. I got about 3/4 of my music on it. Not counting all bootlegs, etc. I'd go for the 32 or 64 GB. But I do like the Touch. Very cool.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow hang on to that one. Right now you can only get them in 8 / 32 / 64.
    16 seems like the perfect size.

12. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted