1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod Serial Number

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Sep 19, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I can't believe I'm asking this, but I am.

Does anyone know how I can obtain the serial number for my wife's iPod? Is it in iTunes somewhere? Apparently, a student stole it today at school, and the administration is holding it and waiting for her to provide a serial number.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's on the box, if you saved it...

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't help with this... Maybe it is on the stuff that came with the iPod or the box, as Mizzou suggested.

I posted about this at the time... I got robbed at my old gym 2 years ago while I was in the shower. Guy picked two locks to get into my stuff. He took a credit card buried in the back of my wallet (figuring if he left everything else intact, I wouldn't notice the one in the back that was missing) and he took my iPod. I was freaked because I can't exercise without music and I live with my iPod when I am on the subway or walking. So I ran out and bought a new one immediately.

A few days later, there was a message waiting for me. Some guy at Apple, in California, called to say that someone in Queens (nowhere near where I am, or a place I have ever even visited) found my iPod on the street and called to track down the owner via the serial number. I was blown away. I met up with the guy and gave him a gift certificate as thanks, and when he gave me the iPod, I asked why he didn't just keep it. He said he had no desire to own one and it wasn't his anyhow. What was amazing, though, was he told me he couldn't find anyone at Apple willing to help. It took him 5 phone calls before he found someone willing to go to the trouble of figuring out if it was registered and contacting me. I couldn't believe someone went to that much trouble and time and effort to do the right thing. It made me feel so much better about humanity after how pissed off I was about being robbed.

I sold the old iPod for a fraction of the price of the new one (next generation) and at least didn't lose too much on the whole thing.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Didn't you personalize it so it'd say Mrs. HeinkenMan's iPod when it started up?

Did the kid erase all the music? Couldn't your wife say "There's a bunch of (insert band or singer's name here) on it" and it be enough for the administration?

5. HeinekenMan

UPDATE: If you go to Apple's manuals page for iPods, there is a button at the bottom of the page that will retrieve the serial number of the last iPod used. I gave that number to my wife, and she has reported back that it's been found. I assume that means someone stole it and then discarded it. I wonder why people are throwing them out. Perhaps they're not able to use them for some reason? I'll bet they toss them when the battery dies because they don't know how to recharge them and don't have the connector.

I don't know whether the songs were erased, but my wife seemed to think they were when I asked if she could just tell them American Idiot was on it.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Going by what you had on it is useless. If I stole an iPod (and no, I don't steal things) first thing I'd do is re-initialize it and set it back to the factory settings.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

But, presuming Mrs. Heineken's iPod was filled with iTunes purchases, she should be OK. Apple keeps records of the downloads, etc.

8. HeinekenMan

The update now is that the principal wasn't able to hold the iPod. So she'll find out the situation on Thursday. Apparently, a kid was sent to the principal's office because he smelled like pot. I guess that gave them probable cause to search his book bag, which is where a police officer found four iPods. Since my wife had just reported her iPod as stolen, they asked her for the serial number. Because it took me 30 minutes to find it, they had no choice but to let the kid go. They now think that he dropped off the iPod at another student's house. The police officer went there in the afternoon and told a parent about it. The deal is that it gets returned or the kids face criminal charges. I say that the iPod is long gone, but I guess there's hope. I'm not all that worried about the music.

9. What is the problem with youths today?? Smoking pot, stealing iPods. I blame video games.

Draft saved Draft deleted