1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So I went to plug my iPod into my fiancee's computer today, figuring I'll add some songs from her library to the unit. Up comes a message saying the iPod can only be synched to one library and it will erase what I have on my iPod now to synch with hers.

Now, the computer I loaded all the songs to my iPod from is toast. I threw it out. So, is there any way for me to save all the songs I have on the iPod without just buying a new computer and creating a new library for myself?
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It depends on the TYPE of Ipod, but yes, you can.

A few ways. The easiest for most people: There are a few pieces of freeware software (Mac and PC) that will read the contents of an Ipod and allow you to move files to a computer. Hit the google to find. I know a popular one for the Mac is called Senuti.

You can also set up iTunes so it doesn't automatically sync your iPod, and then when it is plugged in via USB or Firewire, you can read the contents as if it is an external hard drive. If I remember correctly from doing this (on a Mac), the folder with the music is hidden, so you have to use something like Tinkertool to make hidden folders and files visible. Then you can simply drag to your desktop.

One exception will be an iPod Touch or iPhone. There might be software (freeware) that can move songs off, but it is harder to get access to the drive. You will need to jailbreak it, then have SSH installed and then use an SSH/FTP client to gain access to it as a hard drive. Then you can pull whatever files are on it off.
  3. bigpern23

It's an iPod Nano and I have a PC (which I'm sure will just make it that much more difficult).
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. bigpern23

Great find, Ragu. Worked like a charm. Thanks!
Draft saved Draft deleted