1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Harry Lime, May 1, 2008.

1. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

My hard drive got fried a couple weeks ago, and I lost over 1,500 songs. Luckily, all the songs are on my iPod.
    My question is, does anyone know of a good and FREE program that I can download to move songs to an external hard drive.
    There are a lot of programs on the Internet, but I'm not sure which ones are reliable.
    Thanks.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Mac or PC?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know if you can access those programs from Russian-occupied Vienna. Better hit the sewers again.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand. Can't you just click and drag to the external? I mean, once you sync your iPod to the new drive, that's all you have to do (unless I'm missing something here...)

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Harry, I used one, have to get home to tell you what it was for certain, but I think it was sharepod.

Free online, worked like a charm.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Sharepod works well, as does senuti (I thought it was funny cause it's itunes backwards).

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Can't let that pass without props.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Killick, the problem is that if he synced his iPod to the new drive, his iPod would be wiped clear.

When this happened to me I researched and came up with a way to do it manually. Basically, if you know what you're doing you can reveal hidden folders in Windows, then find all the files (they're in totally random order spread out among about 100 folders) and copy them to your new hard drive. After that, import via iTunes and you'll see the tag information was preserved.

I must say, not a fun process if you've got 30 gigs of stuff to restore. Better than losing it all, however.

9. Senuti is great.
    I can't believe I didn't realize that was iTunes backwards until Diabeetus pointed it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted