1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Terd Ferguson, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

I think I want an iPod or some sort of portable music thingy.
    Any advice?
    Does it make sense to purchase anything other than an iPod? There are millions of players out there, so am I an idiot if I go with one that's not an iPod?
    Do I really need one that can hold every song every song ever recorded?
    Am I OK with the low-end model or will I be kicking myself for not shelling out the extra $50-100?

Thanks.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I have a Creative Zen Micro. Cost $199 with a $50 rebate at Best Buy, and it holds 6GB. I have more than 800 songs on it and still have plenty of room. I have no problem with it at all. I really like it. But good luck finding any accessories for it.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Go with an iPod. You'll be OK with a low-end model, unless you need space for three versions of everything recorded or want to use it as a backup hard disk. Sound's pretty much the same across the board. (We have pretty much every version in my house: a Shuffle (daughter), Nano (wife), 15 GB basic (my old one) and 60 GB video (my new one).

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bought my 20 gig iPod about a year and a half ago and love it, love it, love it. Has about 4,500 songs on it with room for about 300-400 more. If I accumulate that much new stuff, it just means I may have to take the Godfather III soundtrack off the iPod.

Actually, no, I wouldn't.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4500 songs? Jesus, that's the Collected Works of Rock 'n Roll. :)

I'm duly impressed. Wow.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I inherited my brother's iPod Shuffle last winter when he got a bigger one and I love it. I have a huge collection of music but am quite happy with the 120-130 songs I get on my Shuffle. I change it up every three weeks or so...

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

I got the 30G video, it's the shit. It works out well when I'm traveling on planes for games or whatever. The video is cool because if you want to watch some TV shows, it passes the time pretty fast. Also, with Itunes' selection of TV and video stuff now, it's better than ever.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've got a shuffle... for $70 to get the true Apple product, I'm happy. It's got enough space for enough music to keep me entertained at the gym or while laying out pages.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I have an Ipod Mini.. I love it. My only frustration is the battery life is not THAT long on it. Other than that, it's perfect. I have a ton of songs on it, already, and it's not close to being full. Plus, I can find accessories for it at most outlets (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.)

10. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I think the nano is the best option if 300-500 songs will do ya. It's been pretty problem-free.

The hard-drive models (mini, iPod) have experienced significantly more problems.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

If you get an iPod (which I highly recommend) get the AppleCare plan too. It extends the full warranty for two years, which seems to be about as long as a hard drive-based iPod is likely to last.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

There are other options:
    iRiver makes a good product as does Creative.

As for Myself? I have an iPod mini. A good friend of mine parted ways with his girlfriend and had got his mini back from her (he bought it as a two-year anniv. gift). Anyway, he didn't want it anymore and I offered him $80 for it. It's the 4gb model and the battery life sucks. But for $80, it's not that bad. Having said that, don't turn your shoulder on the other companies; they offer very similar products for a considerable lesser price.

Draft saved Draft deleted