1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod Help Needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Since my old PC blew up a few weeks ago and I lost all my music on the PC version of iTunes I'm now forced to sit here and rip all my CDs back to iTunes on my iMac.

Question: Right now the settings on iTunes are to import the songs in AAC format. If I'm going to put these songs on my iPod later, do they need to be imported as MP3s right from the get-go? Or, can I put the songs on my iPod in AAC format?

Fuck, for as much as I love Apple, I hate Apple for not being detailed in ANYTHING!

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

There are programs to transfer music from a PC iTunes to a Mac iTunes. I did it when I bought my Mac (RIP, you fucker).

And since it goes through the iPod, you're halfway there. Just google it, and see what you come up with. There should be a program in which it just pulls the music right off your iPod and puts it in your iTunes. That's what it did with mine.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I used sharepod to move my music off my IPOD to my new computer when the old one died.

Google it, follow the instructions and it works like a charm.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Awesome to both of you!

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

They're both right, but for future reference (if you get a new CD, for example), there's nothing wrong with ripping into AAC format. Problem is, if you ever want to use those files in anything but an iPod you're screwed.

You can go through preferences and tell iTunes to rip your music as mp3 files, which I strongly recommend.

Good luck with the iPod-to-computer trick! I had to do the same thing a while back - found a way to do it without software, but it's a bit geeky and time-intensive. If anyone ever wants to hear about it let me know.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Just wondering, 'cause I'm an idiot when comes to this stuff, what else would I want to use my ripped music for?

Right now, I play the play lists while at home doing dishes, working, cleaning, etc. And I have the same playlists on my iPod which I listen to through an FM broadcaster in my car when I travel.

And, just so we're clear, I can put these songs in AAC format on my iPod and it doesn't make a difference, right?

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I have a question that fits with the topic.

I have a PC laptop & all my MP3s & photos are on an external hard drive.

If I were to someday get a Mac, would that hard drive be compatible with the Mac?

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yes.

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Basically, in case you ever want to use your music on another media player not made by Apple. The market is a competitive one and while you've chosen Apple now, who's to say you won't change your mind later? Then again, who's to say Apple won't licence out AAC later? But I prefer to play it safe.
    Only if you're an audiophile and can pick up the subtle differences in sound quality. Neither format is better, they just compress the music in different areas which leads to an ever-so-slight difference in how they sound.

You should be able to plug the drive into your Mac and take the files off it no problem. On a related note, I had a situation last weekend where I wanted to put files onto a PC-formatted hard drive. No dice. Oddly enough, the fix was to tell the Mac to re-format the hard drive as a PC drive... then it played nice with both computers.

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Thank you much!

11. Pete Incaviglia

Thanks Diabeetus!

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't have anything to add to this, but I'm still finding my way around my 80GB monster. I have no doubt this thing has a setting that can suck my dick if I wanted it to.

Draft saved Draft deleted