1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod FM transmitter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by audreyld, Jan 10, 2008.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

These people make a good one, too.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I hooked up my iPod with a direct line into my car stereo a couple of years ago and it blew away any FM transmitter. Paired it up with a Griffin combo amp/charger and it was perfect.

Circuit City or Best Buy should be able to do it. Yeah its more expensive, around $150-200 fully done, but it is the difference between CD sound and lousy FM sound. Trust me.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I've got an iRiver FM transmitter which is alright.

I did research into a direct connection like the ones mentioned here and found out they only work on certain cars. Mine is not one of those cars.

Also make sure if you're getting one of these things that you still can control your iPod, instead of being forced to use your car system to navigate it. Some of those interfaces lock things down so far you can't even see what song you're playing.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I bought one off woot for like $6. It's OK, but it fades out sometimes, like it's not reading the iPod.

I got the bf the Griffin iTrip (I think) for Christmas. I don't think he's thrown it out yet.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If you can connect directly, that's the best route. My car has an input jack built into the dash, which was a huge selling point for me.

I've used both the cassette adapter and FM transmitter. The cassette adapter is far, far better. Doesn't look as nice since you have the wire hanging out, but the sound quality beats the hell out of an FM transmitter.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do iPods have the traditional headphone jack, or is Apple just proprietary enough to have something totally different?

Anyway, I'd love to have a similar setup to plug into my laptop without hard-wiring it into my home sound system.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a standard jack - 1/8", I think.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

iPods have a headphone jack of course, which is what most people use when playing on their car stereos.

However, they've also got a proprietary connector which delivers much better sound quality, plus additional functionality such as USB in order to connect to a computer.

It's certainly possible to plug an iPod into a microphone port on your laptop, but why wouldn't you just play the exact same music off your computer's hard drive, since that's where all your digital music would be stored in the first place?

9. John

John Well-Known Member

As does mine. I once drove from Florence, AL to Dallas without having to change the station.

Draft saved Draft deleted