1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone5

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just got the 4s. Siri and I have bonded. What's this new one do that my current one can't? I've gone in so deep on iStuff it is ridiculous.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anecdotally ... my wife has a Droid, I have an iPhone, both through Verizon. We were in the car one time, me driving, and needed to find an address. She punched it in ... waiting ... waiting ... waiting ... so long that we were actually getting close to where we knew we were going to have to turn off. Finally at a red light, I quickly punched in the address, and I had the full map and directions before the light turned green.

She was still waiting for the directions when we got to the place. That's when she decided her next phone would be an iPhone.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's supposed to be a SURPRISE!!!!! killer feature on this one, but I haven't seen any leaks about what it is.

But it's also going to be bigger, which is going to increase market share among older people who might otherwise have one already but think the type is so small.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have no complaints about my Droid. The iPhone is definitely better, but when we looked at both phones last year, we couldn't justify paying so much more a month and $200 for the iPhone...

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Here's some information about the iPhone5.

http://www.cnet.com/iphone-5/

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

For a household of three to five people, that is just above or just below the poverty level.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Ask Siri.

The new connector configuration is the part that makes me think twice about getting the new phone:

Now a controversial topic: iPhone has used the same 30-pin connector that has been on the iPhone since 2003. Of course, there are now lots of other ways to connect -- Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi syncing. And now Apple is evolving the connector to something called Lightning, playing off the name of Apple's other emerging connector, Thunderbolt. The new connector is 80% smaller and Apple is working with Bose, JBL and others. But what of all the accessories you have that use the older connector, like those in your car. Apple is coming out with an adapter that would let you hook up those other devices. But this is a potential inconvenience, and it's not yet known if Apple will throw in the adapter for free or charge for it. Either way, it's just something else you have to worry about taking with youâ??and not losing.

8. Moderator1

I did. She told me she found 10 restaurants whose reviews mentioned tomato soup. Seven are fairly close to me.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Every time I'm with somebody who tries to use Siri it doesn't work correctly.
    Every time.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is she sexting you yet?

11. Moderator1

One of our interns this summer was from UNC. She swore if you said "Tar," Siri would come back with "Heels."

Not to me. I said, "Tar" about 10 times and Siri came back with "I found 10 places that sell cars. Eight are reasonably close to you."

So I guess I need to quit mumbling. I also tried to find a restaurant in the "Ballston" section of Arlington and kept getting eateries in Boston.

Siri has worked a good bit of the time but she's a lot like me -- far from perfect.

I did curse in there once and she said, "I'm blushing."

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We tried to get my friend's iPhone to give him suggestions during our fantasy football draft, but Siri didn't know what we were talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted