1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone5

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/09/12/sept-12-the-new-iphone-5/

Apple is planning to release news about the iPhone 5, today.

Anyone planning on purchasing it?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, probably, but only because I haven't joined the 21st century in terms of cellphone technology.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure it's awesome, but it seems hard to justify the expense when you can get pretty damn good smartphones for free.

I have a Motorola Atrix that I've had for about a year now and I love it. I'm sure the iPhone is better, but I doubt it's worth ditching a plan where I pay $35 a month for unlimited calls, texts and data and then have to pay a couple hundred for the phone.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I heard something like XXX million people will buy this thing in the first month or two. I find it unsettling that so many people can afford what will likely be a $500+ phone. And a ton of those people do that every year when the new one comes out.

Must be nice.

5. College kid complain about not having money to eat or books, but those same kids will buy the new iPhone.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

They're expecting to sell ten million during the first month.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I don't get it... We do pretty well, but there is no way in hell my wife and I could justify that expense.

"Hey, let's skip putting money into the kids' college funds so we can get new phones!"

I know a lot of people who have felt the need to upgrade every time a new iPhone comes out. It just seems ridiculous.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It certainly won't be $500 with a wireless contract. Maybe $299 or something. Still expensive, but if it's one of your main work tools, or even your main means of communication and light computing, a reasonable value for the utility.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The way to go is to buy a 4 or a 4S as soon as the 5 is released. I bought the 4 when the 4S came out, and I paid $99 for it. The only difference is I don't have Siri, but a voice-activated phone makes me think "Rise of the Machines" anyway so it freaks me out.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Actually, only 26% of iPhone users are between 13-24. And I bet a large number of those had it bought for them by someone else.

31% of iPhone users are 35-49 years old, and 74% are over age 25. 78% of users have an annual household income of $25K or more.

That is from a 2009 study:

http://www.macnews.com/content/study-looks-demographics-iphone-ipod-touch-users

A newer study found it has remained about the same:

http://www.androidauthority.com/are-iphone-users-richer-better-educated-than-android-users-105032/

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I've always been in the $50-$100 camp when it comes to buying phones, thinking that there's nothing a $300 phone does to make it worth the extra money. Well, I've now had six phones in that price range, and none of them last longer than the two years I sign on for (I had an HTC Blackberry look-alike for T-Mobile a few years ago, and I replaced it five times before I was up for an upgrade). Conversely, I bought an iPod touch in 2008, and even though I broke its face in a bar a few months ago, it still works fine. So I'm in. I bought an iPad last month and love it, and I'll complete the hat trick once I decide what carrier I want.

Mizzou's right: if you intend to use this as a primary tool, you need to get something good and reliable, and as easy as it is to dismiss it because of all the hype, I've never known anyone who regrets buying their iPhone.

12. Mizzougrad96

Right, but it's not like this is the only phone out there where you can do that stuff... I have zero problem with someone having an iPhone, I just think it's the people who have to upgrade every single time are the ones with issues...

Draft saved Draft deleted