1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IPhone4 speakers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Nov 13, 2010.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

OK, I don't know much about these things since I have a crappy old Verizon phone. But my girlfriend got the IPhone4 when it came out and has been talking about getting the portable speaker system. She wants the one Bose makes but I read that it won't work with the IPhone4. Anybody have speakers that work with this thing or any suggestions? I realize I could find them online but I'm looking for somebody with first-hand knowledge. Thanks.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Pretty much any iPod speaker dock will work insofar as playing audio, but only newer docks will also charge an iPhone 4. It's something to do with the amperage required to charge the newer devices apple has been putting out.

Same problem exists with other accessories. I had to buy a new FM transmitter for the same reason, for example.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

So an iHome wouldn't do the job? That sucks. I may have to change my mind about getting an iPhone next time around.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

When you're buying just make sure it's verified to work with your device. If it's a new product it'll work 85 per cent of the time.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I just have an iPhone3GS and I just bought the Bose dock, but not the portable version. Actually quite impressed with the sound quality if that does help at all. Probably not so much as it isn't the portable version (only difference is you can't use batteries to power mine, but I believe the specs are the same) and I have the 3GS. But in terms of quality if it does turn out to work with the iPhone4, it's pretty decent.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. Any other help would be appreciated.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have an iHome for my old-ass 3G and while it sometimes doesn't dock properly now that I'm running the 4.0 operating system, it still works the way it should most of the time. I'm fairly sure most of those will support an iPhone 4.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have a 3g and recently bought the Creative D100 bluetooth speakers. Stream the music on the iPhone wireless. Great for portability with a pretty nice sound (cnet approves.) Got it on Amazon for $60 with free shipping.

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Now that iOS 4.2 is out, you can stream straight to your home theatre system straight from your device if you also buy an Airport Express.

I've used multiple Airport Express units for the past six years as they stream music from my computer, but being able to do it from my iPhone, without having to go wake up my computer first, is a godsend.

Basically the Express has an audio out jack on it. I've heard of people finding them on eBay for $40, but mine cost $100 each.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true as far as the charging goes. I have a three-year old dock and it charges the phone while it's playing.
    Like someone said, check to make sure it does before you buy it.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

What dock? Even my old wall USB chargers don't play nice with my iPhone.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's a JBL. Bought it for my wife in 2007.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted