1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone: Should I buy one?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Dec 9, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here you go, baby. Never say I didn't get you anything.

[​IMG]

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

RIP singing telegrams

[​IMG]

I really hope someone gets that.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Babe, I may not even wait the 10 years to marry you after that post. I need to get that movie on DVD.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

For a second I thought I was seeing a pink Sleestak.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I thought it was Mikey.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm going to repost what I posted last week, but so that we don't have a repeat of the Facebook thread...

In case you haven't noticed, I'm pretty opinionated on here. But I don't mean to offend iPhone devotees. I'm just needlin' ya.

---------

I'm what they call a 'Treonaut.'

For typing and internet access, nothing beats it.

After two years on my Treo, I picked up a friend's iPhone, and the slowness of the internet, coupled with the difficulty of typing, annoyed the piss out of me. Fuckabuncha iPhone.

The problem right now with the Treo (made by Palm, and by the way, if you get a Treo, you need the Palm operating system, NOT the Windows operating system) is that Palm is phasing out the 700 series of the Treo. Their "push" item right now is a phone called the Centro-- don't bother.

There is a hot rumor (semi-confirmed by an internet buddy of mine whose spouse works for Palm ) that there will be a new device on the market come Feb-March. It's very hush hush, but word is it's going to be the Treo 800p. The device will have fast internet access, plus a camera on the phone that is comparable to a digital camera.

Rumored price? $600.

Way way way too rich for me.

So this month I'm hoping to upgrade to the best "obsolete" Treo available... the 755 perhaps?... because I think my 700p has been an amazing phone for 2 years.

ETA: Somebody gave me an iTouch for Christmas last year. Great device for watching video... but it doesn't get used a tenth as much as my Treo.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Luggy -- You ever have email problems with your Treo? Mine stopped working about two months after I got it, so I sent it in and they returned it fixed. A few months later, internet access developed a bug that shut down the phone every time I tried to log on. They fixed it, then email went kaput again about six months later.

Now, I had one of the first 650s, so i chalked it up to early model bugs. And since it had alot of painted plastic, it did get battle-scarred pretty easily. Did love the camera/video function, though, and loved the phone itself when everything was working.

8. Lugnuts

No, I haven't. I think the 700p was a vintage model.

If I have a complaint, it's probably with the browser. I tend to read the internet in fast mode, which doesn't download the images. I think if I kept it in optimized mode, I might have more problems with the phone.

But I'm amazed at the battery life on this thing.

9. Killick

Yeah, battery life was killer.

You made me nostalgic. I just picked mine up (still have it, and it's charged since I juiced it up to get an old contact off it last week). Plugged in my Atari cartridge and played a game of Asteroids. Siiiiiigh.

Still prefer my iPhone, though. ;D

10. Lugnuts

Killick, Do you post a lot on sj from your iPhone?

11. Killick

I do. BTW, you want the Atari cartridge? Should work with 700, or even the new models, I would think. It's got Asteroids, Breakout, Pong, Centipede, coupla other games.

12. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I agree with those who say to bypass the Iphone and get an Ipod touch.

You dont have to deal with AT&T, and you have all the features an Iphone has, just no telephone to go with it.
    Plus Itunes lets you rent movies you can put on your Ipod touch or Iphone for 4 dollars. You only get em for 24 hours, but it's a pretty good deal nonetheless.

Draft saved Draft deleted