1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone: Should I buy one?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Dec 9, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Time for a storm. Something tells me they will start cranking out the apps as well and they will be cheaper on crackberry.com

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

My contract is up in February and I'm considering the iPhone, but monthly bill isn't much smaller than my current Blackberry plan. Then again, I'm also thinking of just getting a regular phone and saving some money. Decisions!

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I fiddled around with it at the Verizon store the other day. It has some cool features. The touch screen is easy to use. If you turn the phone sideways, the keyboard on screen changes to a full keyboard. If you turn it upright, it goes back to a normal phone pad. Pretty cool.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

FWIW, I'd hold off on the Storm until some bugs are worked out.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-life/smart-phone/storm-of-protest-at-latest-blackberry/2008/12/05/1228257302330.html

I dunno about the complaint about the keyboard, though. I wasn't wild about the iPhone's keys when I first moved to it, which is similar to Storm's, but I got used to it in a hurry. Just sounds like some buyers' remorse. Can't speak to the other "bugs" not mentioned, though.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Like Inky, I love my iPhone (1st generation). I've used it for maps when I was lost in Chicago. I used it for music while on flights (didn't use too much battery when I flew to Hawaii or Los Angeles). I don't use it much for apps, but there are some neat ones out there. I download pictures onto the unit and am able to show them to friends fairly easily.

The only downside I have is the inability to send picture messages. I can email photos, which is nice, but I can't message a picture over to somebody. I also can't receive picture messages. I don't know if they fixed this for the 3G version, but they should have.

I live in the NYC area, so just about all cell phone companies function the same for me. I haven't had a bad experience with AT&T/Cingular/AT&T. I've had Sprint in the past as well as Verizon. I have been satisfied enough with the service of AT&T.

6. Killick

Yeah, I had Sprint in Cincinnati before I went to the iPhone. Hated it. Coverage sucked inside a couple of sports venues where I spent most of my time, and when they became Verizon, I thought the customer service SUCKED. My parents have Verizon, though, and love it. I guess it's a local issue.

As the the iPhone, the picture messaging never bothered me because I don't do that. What does bug me, though, is the inability to cut and paste via its Safari. Minor complaint, tho.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um, Sprint and Verizon are separate companies. Sprint/Nextel, sure. Verizon, no.

I know, because I couldn't get service on Sundays inside NASCAR tracks because of all the extra Sprint tower power they brought in each weekend.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, that absolutely does suck. I have ended up on websites where I would like to copy the URL, but was unable to do so.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I love mine. Email, maps and web are what I use most, but also some fun games. Battery life and reception are fine. I live in sf bay area.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's exactly what I did.

11. Killick

Oops. You're right, of course. I had Sprint, which became Sprint/Nextel. Nextel added the customer service suckitude. Parents have S/N.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, that was Sprint. I know some longtime Nextel customers who are praying that NII Holdings (Nextel's old international division) comes through with the buyout.

Draft saved Draft deleted