1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone: Should I buy one?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

My cell plan expires later this week. My iPod shuffle recently conked out on me. Unless I want to start smoke signaling and listening to REO Speedwagon cassettes, I need to do something about this.

That said, is the iPhone a wise purchase?

Do the pluses (music, internet, crap load of available apps) outweigh the negatives (AT&T, dropped calls, low battery life, hefty price tag)?

If you happen to own one, do you enjoy it? Has it met/exceeded your initial expectations?

Or should I steer clear altogether?

Grazie.

2. Re: iPhone: Wise investment?

I had an iPhone (first gen) for more than a year. After I lost it to a flood of Dr Pepper, I couldn't afford to replace it. I miss my iPhone.

With a new plan, you'll save on the phone, too. To me, it's worth it. I've been an AT&T customer for years and have had minimal problems.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No. You should go to Verizon.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've had an iPod touch for a year and I've loved most every minute of it. The fail that AT&T provides is enough to make you avoid the temptation of having the cell and the mp3 player in one unit. Go with the touch and a decent cell.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I so want the blackberry storm... sigh

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, I've had zero complaints with AT&T. I guess I live in a good area.

As for my iPhone, I love it. Given a choice between giving up my iPhone or SJ, you'd never see me here again.

7. imjustagirl

You have a choice, Inky. Give up your iPhone, or never post on SportsJournalists.com again.

(please, dear god, let him fall for it)

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Now there's an endorsement! He's a Steelers fan, too, so he's obviously a smart guy.

Inky, how is the reception? Battery life?

9. imjustagirl

Reception would depend on your area. As would battery life (if you roam a lot, your battery will run down faster). Probably better to ask that of people around you on AT&T.

10. Inky_Wretch

I have no problem with reception. Since I got it in late March (birthday present from the wife), I have yet to drop a call from my end.

Battery life depends on usage. Running apps and/or listening to music saps it pretty quickly. Talking on it doesn't. On average, I put it on the charger every four days.

And remember, I've got a first generation. The newer model has better battery life.

11. Inky_Wretch

Dead. To. Me.

12. imjustagirl

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Draft saved Draft deleted