1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone or Blackberry?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? You can use any open WiFi signal around on an iPhone.

And once you've connected to it once, it'll automatically connect next time you're within range.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't you just download Google Maps?

I'll take that any day over a GPS.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Nope.
    VZW won't allow you to use GPS without VZNav.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've had zero problems with my VZNavigator. It's saved my ass more than once.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

It's what, $11/month? No thanks. Not when there's google maps (for free) for other providers. I've just gotten used to using Mapquest on my 8830.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Had a BB for a couple of years. Last July(?) got the 3G iPhone.

BB was bulletproof. Worked tremendously when I went to Mexico. Almost never have to reboot or have it lock up. Phone was okay. Bluetooth worked seamlessly.

iPhone's screen and moving from one app to the next is phenomenal. Watching a movie on a plane is amazing, the clarity is unmatched. Reading a document is much better and clearer than on a BB too. Phone is pretty good, a few drops but that's not a big deal. The worst thing is no voice dialer. Admittedly the screen and apps are pure "fun" things but its quite a wow factor.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm a Mac freak but stuck with Blackberry because AT&T will never see another dime from me. My shop uses Verizon, anyway, so it's all good.

I'd love to have an iPhone, but I'm not messing with AT&T ever again.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mine comes with my plan.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Of course you can. It reads available wifi and determines whether it would be faster than your 3G network. Not only that, it will give you a map of all nearby free wifi locations.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

As of now, I'm thinking about going with the iPhone. I like the blackberry, but I'm more into the iPhone.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

How do you do that, AB?

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

There are a number of free wifi locator apps, Trey. I don't have one, because I find the 3G pretty good for what I do (I live in a big city and don't have to go looking for wifi), but I'd say just read the reviews in the app store.

Draft saved Draft deleted