1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone or Blackberry?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I got fed up with my Curve's browser and downloaded Opera Mini to my phone. It works a LOT better and if you need to exit out to go look at something else or make a call, you can go right back to the page you were on. My biggest issue with the BB browser was it would always bring up a stupid prompt to buy their Telenet service.

With Opera? None of that. Plus, I got the GPS free by downloading Google Maps. Plus, I got the Weather Channel app on my desktop as well.

I love my BlackBerry. I'll never go back to using a normal phone. My question is, once it comes time for my upgrade next year, they'll just be able to take out the SIM card and put it in an upgraded one, right? So I won't have to redo my numbers and pictures and stuff.

2. Drowned in Dr Pepper.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

GBNF...I was in your very shoes about two months ago. Oh, what to get: IPhone or Blackberry?
    I read everything I could get my hands on regarding both and got feedback from friends and co-workers.
    I went for the Blackberry. And I have absolutely loved it.
    Initially, I was antsy as hell about wondering if I could adapt to it and whether or not I was tech-savvy enough.
    Like taking candy from the proverbial baby. I got the Blackberry 8330 Curve and I really like the keyboard and the various applications. And for downtime and killing time when you're waiting on something, that BrickBreaker applications is cool. It can be downright addictive.
    Now I wonder how I could have lived without it.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Regarding the Blackberry...as mentioned before, I have the 8330 Curve..
    Has anyone, because of your laptop crashing on you or having some type of problem where you couldn't use it, used a Blackberry to SEND a short story?
    Maybe that's a silly question, but just wondering. I mean a story on a tight deadline maybe and you had to get it in to your paper. Or you were somewhere where you didn't even have your laptop, etc., and you needed to get a story or item back to the paper?

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Last month, we had a student who was seriously injured in an accident.
    We had heard rumors she had died (after 3 days) but no confirmation but at the school board meeting, the superintendent announced it.
    My education reporter texted me his quote, which, I put together with a small story for our web site.
    I've told our reporters that anytime they're at a meeting and something big happens, to text me ASAP so I can clear more space or rework the placement of the story on A1.

6. accguy

accguy Member

A few months ago, I was in this same position. BB or iphone.

I also opted for a Blackberry Curve to replace my other Blackberry. In the end, I couldn't give up the keyboard.

Between that and the lack of a copy and paste function in the iphone pretty much made my decision for me.

There are certainly times when I have iphone envy, but I do like my Blackberry.

Have used at times to file a few paragraphs. Never written an entire story on it. Could if I had to, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I love the keyboard option of the Storm -- the fact that if you turn it sideways, you have a QWERTY keyboard.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The cool thing is that you can use your Blackberry to get internet on your laptop. You use the USB cord provided with the phone. (My mother-in-law tells me this, anyway - this desker has never done it.)

9. micke77

micke77 Member

Wenders...once you change again, you shouldn't have any problem getting all of your numbers retrieved and placed in your next phone.
    one of the reasons why i had hesitated on buying a Blackberry and switching from my Motorola Razor was that I was afraid that my address book that totals nearly 800 numbers was going to be lost.
    i could see all of these numbers going into space because--dummy me--had not backed them up.
    i told the Alltel guy to make sure all of those numers I had weren't going to be lost and he said, "yea, right, you have 800 numbers."
    anyway, it took him about three or four minutes to download them all into the Blackberry 8330 Curve and I love the way they are now set up and organized. much better than anything I've had. when he saw the number of "800" come up on this downloading device he had, hell, he called over one of his co-workers and said, "shit, this dude does have 800 numbers."
    i told him, "i'm a writer. I'm supposed to have a bunch of numbers in my address book."
    but back to the Blackberry. I love the phone part of it as much as the email and other applications.
    i haven't dealt with the GPS application yet, but does one have to subscribe to that or what? or how does that work. I haven't had the Curve that long, so haven't fiddled with all of the features.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

Patchs and ACCguy...hey, thanks for relating those situations of using the Blackberry for sending stuff back to the paper...i could see myself doing that, maybe at a press conference where something "breaks" and you gotta get it back to the desk folks fast...yea, that could work really well..

for a long story, i wouldn't prefer it, but would do it if had no other means.

now, tell me about "cut and paste" on a Blackberry Curve. again, i'm new to it and have really just done the basics with the 8330 so far. so i am a Newbie with the BB just as I am with SportsJournalists.com.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I love my blackberry. Won't get an iPhone because I can't use free wifi, that's BS.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I might get the iPhone once my contract is up in April. VZW is great and all, but the fact the company disables the GPS function so you have to pay for its really, really shitty version is outrageous.

The only thing I'm leery about with the iPhone is AT&T's crappy service and plan prices.

BTW, I've got the 8830 (world edition). Love it. Too bad it's beat to shit, not that I really care; only for resale value it sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted