1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iphone or Blackberry? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Nov 27, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I should clarify. This would be a work phone, so my only options are a Blackberry or an iPhone.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I dig BB because I use it for text and e-mail, so the keypad is what I want. It works great for me.
    I don't like touch screens, and I really don't need a lot of applications. I have a few I use. Don't really need any others.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

My only complaint about the Blackberry (I have the Curve) is the camera - a 2.0 megapixel. Boo. If you plan to use the camera for work purposes, make sure you have a high-megapixel camera.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I will say this, any of these phones are better than the one I just dropped in the toilet [/fml]

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'd echo what people are saying about Droid. I am growing tired of my Blackberry and will be switching to an Android phone in December.

6. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

It is kinda tricky to type on, and I can see if you're a BlackBerry person, how it would drive you nuts. But I really like it. Of course, with my old phone it took damn near two minutes to reply to a message.

7. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Just got the iPhone 4. I had a piece of junk Samsung flip phone that was probably state of the art back in 2002. It's like discovering girls for the first time - like going from the Sears catalogue to your dad's stack of Playboys. I absolutely love this gizmo. But I'm sure the Droids are just as cool. My only gripe is the actual phone. I'm repeatedly hitting mute, or if the keypad is up, punching keys with my cheek when I talk to folks. The Samsung was actually a better for phone calls. If you have an iMac, I'd recommend upgrading to Leopard or Snow Leopard before getting the iPhone 4, otherwise you won't be able to upload photos or iTunes if you have the Tiger operating system. And to run Snow Leopard, you need a Mac with an Intel processor. I found that out too late. Overall, it's a damn cool device.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Recently got a Droid phone with a physical keyboard, but found that -- in a protective case -- the top row of keys was a major chore to type on (case on the phone's front didn't clear the keyboard completely).

So I exchanged it for a Droid with touchscreen/Swype, and now I know I'm way quicker on it than on the physical keys. I hated the chore of typing with my (fat-ass) thumbs before. Now it's index finger dragged across the screen and it all goes swiftly and smoothly.

I don't like poking the characters on the touchscreen when I don't/can't use Swype, I will admit that.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I just got my iPhone today and I'm pretty blown away by it. Not having keys to type on will take a little getting used to because by touch I could basically type without looking, but I immediately downloaded the Dragon Dictation app which is pretty good for taking what you say and turning it into a text message. A little more practice and I should be able to do without looking.

I've used my cousin's Blackberry and thought it was decent, but iPhone seems like it's a cut above. From what I hear from friends who have it, Droid is the same ... a big step up.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Liked the BB a whole lot better for texting, e-mailing than the Fascinate (which is an Android device). Everything else the BB did was horrible.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

My wife had a BB and I had an iphone. Now we both have iPhones. Her BB sucked. I agree that the keyboard is easier to use, but everything else about it sucks. Mostly it was just hard to figure out how to get certain functions to use, relative to the super-easy iPhone.

Also, the iPhone is way better for internet, which I actually use a lot. I also use mine for listening to music and watching downloaded movies and TV shows on planes. Also can watch MLB.tv. The camera is also good. Video too.

As for the typing on the touch screen, I have gotten used to it. I don't tend to do really long things of more than 50 words or so, so it's manageable.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

All of this just goes to reinforce that you have to try a phone (and service) for yourself to get a real idea what will work for you. I wouldn't take a free iPhone with free service after my experience with it, but it seems to work for some, just like all the others work for some.

Draft saved Draft deleted