1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iphone or Blackberry? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This generalization that Verizon has the better network is wrong.

It really depends where you live as to which is the better network.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Having had a smart phone for a few months now, I really think apps are waaaay overrated.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

My wife just got the Droid Friday morning, and even though the swype (sp?) technology makes texting a bitch, I am overflowing with envy (not the phone, which is the one I have right now, ironically--no wait that's not ironic at all). The Droid is fucking SHARP. Takes great photos too. Damn that thing is nice. Oh well.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Choose whichever carrier has an unlimited argument package. :)

Seriously, though, any high-end Android phone such as the one BYH mentioned would be a great choice. Killer camera and unlike the iPhone, totally customizable.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What about the Fascinate on Verizon?

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

That's a smart point, how many apps can a person use? I have a ton on my Pre but maybe I only use a couple on a daily basis.
    How many fart apps can a person use?
    To me, it's the network and the phone.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ding ding ding. If you plan on using a keyboard for anything don't get a touch screen.

Apps are overrated. I use one (SlackerRadio) on a regular basis and a notebook one when I need to take a quick list. I can't think of more than two or three that I 'need'.

8. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I have both a Blackberry (for work) and an iPhone.

The Blackberry is best at email. You can type better/faster on the little keyboard, and the whole device is more or less built around sending/reading email.

The iPhone is better at everything else. It's basically a mini-computer that you have with you all the time. I use my iPhone to check/manage my fantasy football team, to keep up on sports scores, to surf the web, to get directions when I don't have my GPS handy, to play games (it's basically like a mini PSP that I have with me all the time), to listen to music (I don't use my iPod any more), to find local restaurants/stores (especially when I'm traveling), etc.

The iPhone has been a life-changing device for me, and I can't imagine not having it now. The Blackberry is very good at what it does -- it's a very focused device. But if I had to choose one, it would be an easy choice. The iPhone does a decent job at email, but the Blackberry does an awful job at everything else (Web, GPS, games, Apps, etc.).

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I have a Blackberry (Tour 9650), an iPhone, and an Evo. I recently discontinued the iPhone service because it was, well, pretty useless. Nice as a music player and an e-reader in a pinch, but pretty useless overall. Didn't help that the AT&T network is awful for the most part and the phone doesn't do Flash.

The Evo is a touch-screen device, but I keep it mostly for the mobile hotspot capability and the larger screen for web browsing and working on the road without a laptop. It is a nice device, but when I need to do real work, I always go back to the Blackberry.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I love my iPhone -- use it for recording interviews, shooting video for the Web and more.

But I hate typing on it. I miss the actual keyboard on my Blackberry Curve.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have a Blackberry and it's better than the iPhone because it is cheaper, and I can actually type on it.

I'd rather have a Droid though.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

John, what type of video are you shooting on the iPhone? I would think the video capabilities are equal on the iPhone and BlackBerry. The camera on my Curve is pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted