1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone -- Music Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, May 11, 2012.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

my iPhone must be quite a bit bigger than yours. I have 4.7 days worth of music (about 2100 songs)

my big problem is that some of the files on my computer got corrupted. does anyone know a way to get songs off my iPhone and onto my computer?

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

There are third-party software programs you can download that do it. Some free, some for pay. I forget the one I used, but some googling will turn some of them up for you.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Senuti (which is iTunes backward) saved me a couple thousand bucks when a portable hard drive my wife and I were sharing conked out.

Lugs, iPhone camera is pretty damn great, especially if it's main use is taking pics of the kids as mine is. Get a program like Hipstamatic and you can shoot really cool photos that look like Polaroid shots.

Only thing I don't live about my iPhone is the battery isn't great. But otherwise, it's perfect. Music is good quality, and if you're ever jonesing for a song, you can have it in 30 secs and transfer it to your iTunes on your computer easily.

I would rec getting an App like Photosync and hooking it to a Dropbox account and you can transfer photos and have them on the computer (or send them to grandparents) without hooking your phone up to a computer. It does it all through WiFi.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'd recommend the Palm Pre, err, scratch that.
    I'd get the iPhone on Sprint since your music is already on iTunes.
    I would check out the new HTC Evo 4G LTE that's coming out in a week.
    It's supposed to be an amazing phone and if your area is getting Sprint's new 4G LTE this year, blazing fast data speeds.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've become a huge fan of Amazon cloud. All my music is in one spot and I can access from my phone and computers. When I add a song From Amazon it goes to cloud.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Maybe a 4 or 5. I bought some Sony earbuds on budget ... undoubtedly, it would sound better with a set of Sony, Bose or Sennheiser studio headphones attached. Also, it depends on the source of your music ... most of my tracks were from my CD collection into my laptop then transferred to my iPhone.

It's better than it was years ago when I first listened to a primitive version of a hard drive which had music on it. It will likely continue to improve, especially if we don't excessively compress the information and use the best sources to minimize the audio degradation. But I'm not ditching components anytime soon. (yeah, yeah ... Get off my lawn, etc. ... )

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I have a 16GB iPhone. I have probably 35 apps, five books and still room for 1400 songs.

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I have both, since I bought an Android in the fall and was recently given a work iPhone. I still prefer the Droid, mainly because it has a full keyboard. But typing on the screen isn't as awful as I'd feared. (Damn you, autocorrect!)

There is no iTunes for Android, but there are several music programs that will work with your music. (I haven't gotten around to installing any on mine yet... but I'll tell you when I do.) Storing music hasn't affected performance, because it doesn't actively use memory or battery. Running too many apps (particularly in the background) does that, so either cycle the power on the phone regularly or actively turn things off after you use them.

One thing to note: if you have a (really) old Mac OS, you won't be able to do anything with iTunes because the computer won't recognize the phone. Apparently this is not a problem with an old PC.

You can plug the iPhone directly into a stereo at the gym. Most of our fitness instructors do that here; there's an iPod jack built in. I'm pretty sure you can buy a compatible cable for a Droid too, though I haven't looked into it.

Stick with Sprint either way, unless your reception is terrible. The unlimited data provides great peace of mind.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have a 4s and previously a 3s and the only issue I have had with either is battery life. Playing songs on your phone does not affect the performance of the phone and as pointed out earlier the amount of songs you can fit on your phone all depends on the amount of memory on the phone. I have a 16G and I am not wanting more space. Right now I have about 600 songs on it with about 3 gigs to go and its connection with iTunes makes it easy to add songs, and transferring songs from your computer to your phone is dummy proof -- which is key for me. The camera is also pretty awesome.

I don't see me ever switching away from the iPhone and I actually have a bit of hate for Mac. Mind you my brother has whatever the windows phone is and he swears by it.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That is so helpful, PD. I have a newer iMac (less than 2 yrs old I think) so that shouldn't be a problem. Great to know about Sprint because I'm in contract with them and truly Sprint has the best service here in the tri-state. I get good service in NYC.

Sam, I don't have any CDs.. Everything's iTunes pretty much, so I'm hoping the sound quality will be decent.

I've resisted Apple but the iMac was a gift, and Mr. Lugs has an iPad and iPhone from work, so it's crept in. Now it's time to make life simpler and give up the fight.

Patchs I never thought I'd see the day when you endorsed an iPhone, so that pretty much seals it.

Thanks for the info everybody.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This is where a good pair of head phones can make a lot of difference. The headphones that come with the iPhone suck. Also there are preset equalizer settings that will help with the sound quality depending on the type of music.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I use Amazon Cloud with my Android phone. All my music is stored on Cloud which allows me to access on both phone and computers. I don't have to worry about back up. When I buy a song through Amazon it automatically goes to cloud. You also have the option to download song to a computer if needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted