1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone -- Music Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, May 11, 2012.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Fuck. I swore I'd never get an iPhone.

Can iPhone users fill me in? I'm assuming I can use the iPhone as an iPod? How many songs do we think we will be able to store on the iPhone 5 without it affecting the performance of the phone?

Dumb question. If I walk into my local fitness studio, would I be able to plug my iPhone into the stereo and play music off it?

And finally, I have a Motorola Android phone right now. How compatible/hard is it to put iTunes on it, and would it affect the performance of the phone?

I'm with Sprint now. I'm seriously considering switching to i Mac Fucking SHit EVERYTHING. :D

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Doesn't the 5 come with free cloud storage?

3. Lugnuts

What's cloud storage?

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Your iPhone is solar powered, so you have to have a place to store your music on overcast days.

(it's storage on a server, so you can access your music on other devices without having to make copies of the media on, say, a laptop or iPad)

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, the iPhone can be used as an iPod. The number of songs is entirely dependent on which size phone you go with. The biggest is 64 gigs, and you'd get a hell of a lot of music on that.

Can't speak to your local fitness studio, but all you need is a cable with a very common plug size to play it through a stereo. I would assume most gyms are set up to do that.

You can't put iTunes on an Android phone.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Do the iPhone, Lugs.

I've been really pleased with mine, and it has room for music. And I have one with no one near 64GB.

There isn't room for entire discographies - at least not on mine - but I have more than 20 hours' worth of music. Sound quality doesn't make me want to get rid of components, but it's a little more portable.

7. Lugnuts

THANK YOU guys for answering the questions. Cloud is what I need.

Sam, I hadn't thought of sound quality. Scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being recording-studio sound, and 1 being inside a tinfoil tunnel, how would you rate the sound quality for music on your iPhone?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's actually pretty easy to transfer your iPod music from your PC to your phone. One pain is the ass is that to add apps, you have to sign on to the iTunes store most every time.

On my Motorola Android, there are apps that allow you to get free music off the Web without bothering with iTunes. But my Sideflip is glitchy as hell, so I hope to get an iPhone one of these days.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Luggie,

It depends on the quality of the mp3 (or whatever format you are listening to). If they are recorded at a high bit-rate the audio quality should be just fine -- it's not fully CD quality, but if the bit-rate is about 192 or higher, you really won't be able to tell the difference. 120 or lower gets a little sketchy.

10. Lugnuts

Thanks, PC and dools. I just want to take a lot of my music (purchased from iTunes and on my iMac), put it on my phone... and take my music with me anywhere. Dools, the glitchiness is what I'm trying to avoid.

Aren't we heading toward fewer devices now? I hear the iPhone 5 has a great camera. I'd love to be able to do almost everything on this one device. Must have fast internet, Bluetooth, all the bells/whistles of course.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Pandora and Spotify really make it unnecessary, doesn't it?

I know Pandora you are more subject to random songs, but you can choose whatever song you want on Spotify.

I know Spotify is available on Android, not sure on iphone. Although I have read the app isn't as stable as it could be.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I stopped using Pandora. Too many damn commercials, and really variable quality. For example, the Elvis Costello channel had a lot of interesting deep cuts and demos, whereas the Beatles channel had only about half Beatles songs (and why in the hell would a Kansas song be anywhere near a Beatles channel??) I had not heard of Spotify; will have to check that out.

Draft saved Draft deleted