1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone help/advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by highlander, Jan 13, 2011.

1. highlander

highlander Member

Just got my first iPhone3G. Any suggestions on free Aps or any worthwile Aps to purchase? Also does anyone know how to delete numbers from the my phone list?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Google app with voice search is pretty helpful.

Yelp, Pandora, Weather Channel and Southwest come in handy as well.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Stuff I use:
    Vlingo
    Words with Friends
    Hootsuite
    Twitterific
    Facebook
    Pandora
    The Weather Channel
    North Face Snow Report
    ESPN SportsCenter
    Instagram
    Angry Birds
    Foursquare

4. highlander

highlander Member

That's second time I've heard about Angry Birds.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can't seemed to connect to the internet. The lady at the store told me I could do that. Without that ability, I don't think I can get any Aps.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

You should be able to obtain apps via the app store with your AT&T 3G service.. You can also connect via WiFi when you're in a hot spot.

I also use Flixtster, RedBox, ESPN Steak for the Cash, 8MM video camera, Skype, Remote, Bump and Google Earth.

6. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Words With Friends
    Angry Birds
    Bookworm
    Radio.com
    Iheartradio
    American Airlines, Southwest, Delta, Air Canada
    Open Table
    Yelp
    LinkedIn

Hope this helps.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Here are the main apps I use. Yes, I have more than this.

To answer your question about deleting numbers from a phone list, you need to be more specific but a simple left-to-right swipe over the thing you want to delete is a general feature of the iOS operating system.

Free — TweetDeck (basic Twitter and Facebook at the same time); TextPlus (if you don't have an unlimited text plan); Dragon Dictation; Facebook; Twitter; Skype; WeatherEye (better than the native weather app); TSN Mobile (Canada); ScoreMobile (Canada); ESPN ScoreCenter; Kijiji; Globe & Mail; Engadget; CNN International; Stuff You Should Know; Yellow Pages; Remote (will control iTunes off your desktop and other Apple software); TD/RBC/Scotiabank (most banks have an app); Netflix (app is free, of course Netflix isn't); Photoshop Express; We Rule; Find iPhone (this is a must-get, it's free, do it and register it right away so you'll never lose your phone); iBooks (free, books cost); Kindle (free, books cost); OverDrive (which you can use to rent out books and audiobooks from your local public library).

A buck or two — CalenGoo (Google calendar and tasks, syncs with the server); Convertbot (converts currency, units, measurements, you name it); TuneIn Radio (listen to any radio station over your 3G or wifi - plus pause, rewind and record); iProRecorder (better than native app for scrolling within my interviews); Camera+ (better than native Camera app, but no video); Flashlight; Osmos; Angry Birds; Scrabble; Uno; Flight Control; Peggle; Cut the Rope; Bejeweled; Tiger Woods; Conquest (Risk, basically).

More
    Navigon GPS ($50 or so, combined with a proper mount in your car replaces a dedicated GPS device); iMovie ($5); Lego Harry Potter ($5); Civilization Revolutions ($6).

8. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

If you can't get the AT&T wireless connection to work, just try turning the phone off then back on. It happens to me every once in a while.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Angry Birds, Tetris, ESPN Score Center (which is manna from heaven); Weather Channel, and the DirecTV app is ballsy... provided you have DirecTV, of course.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If you're a member, the Netflix iPhone app is incredible.

I also like the MLB.com and Vevo (music video) apps too.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Thanks for the advice. I got a bad sim card. They gave me a new one and it worked.

Now I have to figure out how to turn my college fight song that I downloaded into a ring tone. Any ideas?

12. highlander

highlander Member

Okay I've started downloading. Dragon Dictation is awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted