1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone for Dummies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 16, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've got to tell you, I always thought the iPhone was cool, but unnecessary. But one of my (new/big) customers wanted/needed me to have email access during the day, so I got one.

Wow. It's super easy to use, which I figured. But it's even easier and better than I expected.

The GPS software alone is incredible.

So far I've downloaded the following apps: facebook, Yelp, OpenTable, Fandango, NYTimes, Google, Pandora, and Kindle for iPhone.

I had never even heard of Pandora, but it's cool as shit. The Times app formats their site really well for the iPhone, and the Kindle eReader looks great too.

I realize I probably sound like your grandfather the first time he saw a supermarket scanner, but I'm excited.

If you haven't thought about getting one, you should look into it.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pandora is creepy good when it pulls up some random song you've always liked but seems to have nothing to do with the songs you've inputted.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I Heart Radio is a favorite of mine. Not as many stations as I'd like, but it's cool to listen to some different ones around the country.
    ESPN's Scorecenter is a must-have. Pandora is awesome. Scan the free apps once in a while and see if there's anything you like. Lots of apps even have "lite" versions that are free.
    One thing, though. I have the iPod Touch (basically the same functions as the iPhone, just without the phone part) and playing games drains the battery in a hurry. If you're playing a time waster for any length of time (45 minutes to an hour does it on mine) keep your eye on the battery icon.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Must-have's: Facebook, Tweetdeck, ESPN Scorecenter, ConvertBot (I got it for free, plenty of free converters available), a document viewer/sharer like QuickOffice or Air Sharing, Yellow Pages.

Games: Tiger Woods is really well done, there are plenty of free card games, I've been playing a free puzzle game called Toobz for a year and am not bored of it. Basically, name a game you like and there's probably a well-done version of it for the iPod.

Agreed on the battery thing. Bought a charger for my wife's iPod Touch last month that uses AAA batteries, which is great on, say, a plane because you can carry as many AAA's as you'll need for the flight or buy more if you run out.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Facebook
    twittelator pro
    wordpress
    MLB
    kayak (travel planning)
    imdb

best games
    Rolando
    Shufflepuck
    tiger woods strip golf... Oh wait...

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a wall charger, too, that costs around $25 that's pretty good. My iPod goes from under 20 percent to around 90 percent in an hour or so. It also has the cable to charge off the computer, and you can use it while it's plugged into the wall.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I have a wall charger or computer at home, my Mac's USB port at work, a USB cigarette adapter in the car and the AAA battery thing on a plane. I'm covered.
    Also handy - a USB extension cable for when I'm charging through the wall charger but still want to play games before going to sleep.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Most of the main ones have been covered, but I would like to add NewsAddict, it links you to just about every major newspaper or news entity that you could ever want. saves from having to download different papers or bookmarking other newsites.

Also, as far as games go, Need For Speed Shift is freaking amazing.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

As for charging it on a plane, I have two of these....

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Battery-Extender-Charger-iPhone/dp/B0018DKODQ

They work pretty well. You charge 'em up via USB in advance, then plug 'em into the phone and it gives another 3-4 hours of juice.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

bump (amazing how fast you can exchange info with someone)
    trivia wars
    yelp
    the weather channel
    ebay

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Amazon's app is pretty useful. And it's been mentioned already, but I cannot stress enough how good the MLB app is.

Draft saved Draft deleted