1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone 3Gs as a voice recorder

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mark DeCotis, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

Anyone using an iPhone in place of a tape recorder? If so, any success/failure stories to share? Is there a time limit on length of recording? Any apps that are better than the Voice Memos function already on the phone?

Thanks,

mark

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

When I had my iPhone 3G, I used it (the iTalk app) as my primary recorder.

Pluses:
    - Great sound quality
    - Blocked out wind
    - Able to organize/list interviews no problem
    - Very responsive start/stop button

Minuses:
    - Terrible fast forward/rewind controls. Took twice as long as it should have to find a specific quote
    - If you forget to turn on Airplane mode and receive a call in the middle of recording, your interview is gone

I'm guessing the same issues could crop up when using the Voice Memos function.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

A guy in my area uses his iPhone as a voice recorder and loves it. Evidently it provides great quality, but can be finicky if you forget to turn it on Airplane mode.

Edit: I use my iPod with an attachment and it works well. I'd assume the iPhone could do just as good of a job.

4. everything Trey said. I only had to lose most of an interview once to always remeber to put it on airplane mode to stop from getting calls. But the sound quality is great both indoors and out. It's so much more convenient than carrying a separate recorder.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've used my blackberry as a recorder when I forgot my digital, but I wouldn't think of using it in place of my regular recorder.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Which is why you should always take notes (at least of some sort) in addition to recording.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Good point.

Draft saved Draft deleted