1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPad me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They were not cheap but a lot less expensive than I thought - but yeah, I have too many outlets to buy things to readily available now.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why would an ipad be better than 11" Mac Air?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

1. It'll cost you about half the price.
    B. It really has to do with how you use your device. Most people really don't need a portable computer. They lug them around out of habit because that's how they've maintained connectivity for the past two decades. However, if you're not actually doing any computing, you probably don't need a computer.

4. accguy

accguy Member

Moddy, since you are a reader, download the overdrive app and you can read library books (i.e. free books) on your ipad if you have a library that supports ebooks for checkout.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bought one today.

Black, 64K, ATT 3G.

Had to go out with a friend tonight, so I haven't played with it much yet.

I justified it by convincing myself that I could save all the manuals to the machines I work on, on it. I've put a bunch of them on it already, but now I'll have to bring it with me to work every day if that's the case.

It seems great for surfing the web, reading, twitter, etc.

Not sure if I'll like it for posting. (And, SJ Nation rejoices, hoping I'll love it and post less as a result.)

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Get a wireless keyboard. I don't like typing more than a sentence or two on the touch screen. And I'll second maberger's advice on evernote and dropbox.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Spotify is pretty cool as well. I use that for music and TuneIn Radio to listen to sports and NPR stations.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

We've been told our entire sports staff is being issued 3G iPads in the next week and we'll be expected to use them instead of our laptops (I've always used my personal laptop for covering road games rather than rely on the rather questionable functionality of our company machines).

The big idea is that we'll be able to type our stories directly into the system, eliminating the steps of cleaning up and coding an email. While most of my games are at places that have pretty good cell/wifi signals, I'm still not sold on being able to connect to the system anytime, anywhere.

Of course, the bosses are expecting us to jump right in on this, but we won't get the iPads until the second week of the football season. It would have been one hell of a lot better for all concerned if we'd gotten them two or three weeks earlier and had plenty of time to get used to how they operate. But then again, advance planning never has been a strong suit at this place.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Here's a question for the iPad users: how hard is it to cut and paste text from a webpage into a web-based email? I do a lot of cutting and pasting of text from online articles and then emailing it to my boss. Is it a pain in the ass to do on a iPad?

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Piece of cake

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

OK - here's a curveball: my fingers and touchscreens don't always work well together (low blood pressure/cold fingertips). Does that make it harder?

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

You can always zoom in to make the type bigger so it's easier.

Draft saved Draft deleted