1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPad me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just ordered the wifi-only 64GB version on Sunday. We don't have a laptop (just a desktop in the home office), so it will serve as that.

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Re: The no Flash thing ...

Why do tech companies do stuff like that? I know, I know, because it's Apple and they can. But how do you put out a media device that doesn't support Flash? It's like when Sony shipped the PS3 without either an HDMI cable or even a component video cable. So you're asking people to buy an HD video source that plays Blu-Ray, but then people have to buy another cable to get the full benefit. Makes no sense.

Anyway, I don't own an iPad, but have been in Best Buy and messed around with one several times. Forget typing on it. It's very cool for web browsing and consuming media (unless the media requires Flash). But if you're thinking about it for work, it just feels like the device doesn't serve much purpose for people in our business.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I bought my wife an iPad a year ago. Two months later her workplace gave her a smartphone (android). If she had gotten the phone first, I don't think we ever would have bought the iPad. We just went on a family vacation, and the iPad didn't prevent either of us from lugging our laptops, phones or my son's iPod.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is a power play and is about Apple kicking Adobe's ass and letting the world know who is boss. Adobe thought it could dictate terms.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What some others said. The touch screen keyboard sucks. If you get a bluetooth keyboard. ... well, you might as well lug around a laptop and get a full-fledged operating system, more storage space, etc.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You can pay for an app that is a web browser. That app also has flash.

7. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

I use my iPad as a laptop replacement. I don't have any other use for a laptop other than web browsing and word processing. I use the iPad for both and more.

I have a bluetooth keyboard, and yes, you'll want that. They're $69, but worth it.

You can pay $9.99 for the Pages app, which is a word processing app that you can save and email documents as Word files or PDFs.

I love the iPad. I have the 16 GB Wi-Fi and the first generation, and I love it. Having the web browsing, all the apps and the iBooks/Kindle app, I don't plan on buying another laptop.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm on it right now!!!!!!!

Can you tell?

I wouldn't write a long essay on it, but I wouldn't on a phone either. I see it mostly as a media device/web surfer/email checker/e-reader. Does 3 of those 4 better than a phone. Well see how it works out.

Oh, Skype too.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I have so many gadgets I can't pay rent or bills. The iPad is ok for consumption, as people have already said. I have the WiFi-only version, and it sometimes has issues with different routers. That often makes it pretty useless on the road, so I have started taking only my Galaxy Tab, which has Sprint service.

The reflective screen on the iPad also reminds me over and over what a fat face I have. Screw you, Steve Jobs.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm pretty anti-Apple. I think these Apple devices are made in China by people living in inhumane conditions working for slave wages. And I heard a report on the news the other day that Apple is now collecting information on the whereabouts of its iPhone users by garnering data from cellphone towers.

But we as a family were given an iMac as a gift by my in-laws, and I was not permitted to whine about it. Then Mr. Lugs got an iPad from work. I wanted to see what the fuss was about. It has some issues, as others have said.

Moddy, if you're considering a tablet, I would look at some of the other brands.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That post is an argument against the iPad for me. The external keyboard just seems like it defeats the portability and all, and at $69 on top of the $500 or more for the iPad itself? Sheesh. And I know these things are all about the apps, but spending more money ($9.99 is a pricey app, no?) to get it to do things I'd expect it to do right out of the box just rubs me wrong.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah, the iPad certainly hasn't replaced my laptop, but I absolutely love it for travel. And long waits, as mentioned above.

I love the convenience factor of being able to grab the 3G network anywhere, even in more remote places. And having used a Kindle previously, I much, much prefer iBooks.

My dad is the biggest gadget guru I know, and I believe he would choose his iPad over his wife of almost 40 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted