1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ipad Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Guy_Incognito, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Someone gave my father an Ipad 2, so he gave me his old one. It looks really cool & just having the portable, quick internet is great, but I know that that is just the tip of the iceberg. I took a look at the app store, but it was so overwhelming it was hard to know where to start. Any tips?

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Some ones I've found really helpful:

VLC Player: You can upload your own videos that aren't official ITunes video to your Ipad.

Quickvoice: recording device that allow you to email recordings really quickly and simply.

Zap2It: A TV Guide for you Ipad.

Compass: Simple but amazingly useful in a car sometimes.

Some sort of alarm clock: The geniuses at Apple put everything EXCEPT A FREAKING ALARM clock on the Ipad. There's one on the Ipod Touch and Iphone, but not one on the IPad.

Pulse: An RSS reader.

Find IPhone: I lose my devices on a weekly basis. If you have another Apple product, you can find it quickly with this app.

Remote: control your Itunes on your laptop with your Ipad. This may not be useful to you, but I connect my laptop to my stereo system and it's like having a remote for my music collection.

WatchESPN: They are an evil empire, but if your cable/internet service has it, it's perfection. I don't even have cable and I can pretty much get every live ESPN event they show.

Kindle app: Much better reading experience than IBooks.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Don't roll it up and try to swat a fly.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/8a3000125f/newsday-ipad-app-commercial

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Had no idea there was a VLC streaming player app. Just installed it -- thanks for the tip.

One of my favorites so far is Zinio, which is a digital magazine subscription app. Good selection and great prices, particularly if you want to read anything from overseas. I used to have regular subscriptions to FourFourTwo, a British soccer magazine, and F1 Racing, which is also British. I paid something like $70 a year each for the hard copies. Through Zinio FourFourTwo was $11.99 and F1 Racing was $30, I think, and it's the exact same magazine except in digital form. I got a $25 credit for signing up, which is more than a lot of magazines cost. I think Spin is $5 a year on there now.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I always went to the App store and looked at the top apps in each category. Always a good place to start.

And, for the love of god, don't install Angry Birds. If you do, just kiss productivity goodbye.

Draft saved Draft deleted