1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa Supreme Court unanimously overturns ban on gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Nothing better than a Maid-Rite.

Especially when you can get beer at a drive-thru.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I figure, just stick another sign on top of there that says "Wedding Chapel" and those folks are set!

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Oh yeah. More like Bed, Bath and Beyond for me, but the same thing applies. Cool kitchen thingy! Some bedroom decor that we'll never use! On the list.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's Bed, Bath and Beyond for all of us these days. Linens and Things went out of business.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Vermont's House is the same way.

SC: Oh yeah, I forgot :p

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman also used that quote in Full Metal Jacket when he asked Private Cowboy where he was from.

The quote was, "Holy dog shit. Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?"

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Roll out the welcome mats, Iowanians!

Fred Phelps and Co. are planning on protesting the Capitol!

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Talked to my parents today, and my mom brought this up and said, "Who knew Iowa was a hotbed of gay rights?" I laughed.

Phelps can lick Stan's nonexistent hairy balls.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I remember my father saying about his drill sergeant (or whatever the Air Force equivalent is) that as the sergeant ranted, he (my father) had to either hold back his abject terror or his uproarious laughter, sometimes within the same sentence.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Which is a transposition of how Foley said the first part, and what was posted with Ermey's pic. Just being a copy editor.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It's good to see some states are wising up about this topic. Good job, Iowa.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Also here in Iowa.

I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. However, I'm also aware that this step was inevitable, even for this state. I have other social issues that I place ahead of same-sex marriage. SSM is not something that takes life and is an issue I have to face every day. I'm a Christian and have a hard time backing it but I also understand that this is the next step.

Of course, I wonder why millions of Americans want to join the "prison without walls" that hundreds of millions of Americans already live in, counting the days and years until they can find something better. :)

Right now, Iowa is talking about a $700 million dollar budget deficit. Businesses, especially small businesses, should really be backing this, even if it means a split with "Culture Republicans".

Iowa could embrace this financially.

The state spends so much on tourism and, for what...to go hang out in Dubuque for a long weekend? So see Buddy Holly's demise one more time?

No, the business community needs to realize the same-sex American couple probably represents the most lucrative financial demographic in the history of the world.

Especially the men.

They, generally, don't have children sucking away their paycheck. Show me a college-educated gay male with a job and you'll come across a guy who can earn a "man's paycheck" and may have a woman's penchant for shoes, high-end food/drink and bed and breakfasts. Seriously. It's the best of all worlds. They make good money and have an ungodly amount of discretionary income that a guy like me, with kids, can't even begin to comprehend!

Not to mention Iowa will now be #1 on the destination list for any College Softball Coaches of America conventions -- but, they work just as hard as the football players!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.