1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa Supreme Court unanimously overturns ban on gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's certainly true, but Pope is correct. The only states in 2004 that had gay marriage referenda on the ballot were going to vote the way they ended up doing in the presidential election regardless. Oregon and Michigan approved gay marriage bans that year and still voted blue.

ADD: It can certainly be argued that the gay referenda helped the down-ballot Pubes.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

But, but, but, but -- this was the strategy Karl Rove used to steal Ohio that year.........

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Karl Rove even knows that Iowa isn't Ohio. He isn't touching that issue with an 8 ft. Hungarian.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No. Ken Blackwell did the job quite nicely by himself.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Moonies are people, too!

My problem with that catch-all, anti-gay-marriage phrase is "protects (or protecting) traditional marriage."

Bullshit. What does banning gay marriages do to "protect" traditional ones? Is there some sort of theory out there that if gays and lesbians start getting married, then heterosexuals will see that and decide to stop getting married/start getting divorces?

Seriously, what does one have to do with the other?

Besides, with the rate of failed marriages among hetero couples, maybe traditional marriage needs to be protected from the heterosexuals themselves!

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Apeman, don't you know that if teh gays go and get married, that it's in the constitution that all same-sex marriages are immediately dissolved and husbands and wives are penalized $4,000 for not being gay?

Oh, wait, I'm sorry, I was just reading the 2012 election platform of old tony. My mistake.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

As always, Nate Silver comes through:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/will-iowans-uphold-gay-marriage.html

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, that quote was from Foley in Officer and a Gentleman.

And good for Iowa

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Seriously, that dude's got game.

Fascinating read.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Technically, that quote was from every drill sergeant who ever lived. I think my dad heard it in the Air Force in 1960. (Not directed at him -- he was from that other gay-marrying state, Massachusetts.)

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, if you're struggling to get a last-minute gift for the gay-marrying Iowan in your life, you can always make a quick trip into the World's Largest Truck Stop outside the Quad Cities. There are lot of little pretties and decorative items that don't involve buxom women on mudflaps, believe it or not.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Now Catering Receptions:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.