1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa Supreme Court unanimously overturns ban on gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Maybe not Obama, but state repubs could try to use the measure as a rallying point/try to boost turnout with the issue in 2012.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If they do that, they haven't been paying attention. While anti-gay marriage ballot provisions have a high winning percentage, there is no correlation between having one on the ballot and success for the Republicans.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

MU, this has been in the works for the last three years, the case that is. It's more than a baby step. It was only a matter of time when the Court was going to make a decision.

As an Iowan, I'm pleased with the ruling, but as indicated by McKinley, expect a fight in the Statehouse, if not by the end of the session in May, definitely in January, when they come back to start the new session.

The LGBT community are happy, as this was a big hurdle to jump over. They know this deal isn't over yet.

It's more than the Republicans, but I was happy to see this ruling make the black church leaders in this state freak out as well. They were on board with the anti-LGBT kooks, claiming that gays shouldn't be given civil rights. That bullshit backfired today. As a black man, civil rights is for everyone, not for a few. If we had to fight for ours, then the LGBT can fight for theirs too.

You see, Flyover Country isn't as slow and backwards as you think.

I'm not surprised that hardly no one knew that Iowa was going to be a big story because it was so quiet and no big hubbub was brought up about it until the Court announced that they made up their minds.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Uh, yeah, I can read, too, so I understand the process involved. Thanks.

I was simply pointing out that this might be going to a referendum in 2012, which as I'm sure you know your excellency, the same time as the next presidential election.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

At the risk of being called a raging homophobe, do gay people really want to get married, or is the whole stink based merely on the principle of civil rights? Do gays really want the right to cast their lot with an institution that fails nearly half the time? And didn't the first legally married gay couple get divorced a short time later anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for my former state of residence for being forward-thinking on this issue. What would have been more forward-thinking is to get government out of marriage, period, since it's just a legal contract, anyway. Personally, discrimination is wrong in any form and the "certain inalienable rights" phrase in the founding documents is spot-on. And anyone who has been divorced but sees fit to stick up for "the sanctity of marriage" needs to have a steaming, hot cup of STFU forever. But aren't there far worthier battles to fight in the pursuit of civil rights?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not for gay people in long-term relationships, there isn't.

And yes, gay people want to get married.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

And don't forget the gifts. Walking around Linens n' Things with that registry gun thingy is a blast. Quesadilla Maker? Bang! You're on my registry.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I radio producer with whom I worked said that if she and her partner (who have children) could marry, that would save them about $9,000 a year in taxes and health insurance premiums. Also, if her partner got sick, she would have a guaranteed right to visit her in the hospital. There are all sorts of things that become easier and cheaper as you soon as you get that marriage license. So it ain't just about love.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Iowa ledge is majority D in both houses. Doesn't necessarily mean much, but the Pubes have been the more vocal homophobes.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

On another thread, 'twas related the story of a man who came to his longtime girlfriend and uttered the words every woman longs to hear, after a lovely yet arduous courtship:

"My accountant says we need to get married."

So yeah, I've long since accepted that love got nothin' to do wit' it. As it runs counter to my upbringing, however, thus explains my cynicism.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"I'm in favor of gay marriage.

Why shouldn't they be as miserable as the rest of us?"

- Former Texas gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.