1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa State/preps reporter -- Ames Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 8, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Are you up for a challenge? The Ames Tribune has an opening for a sports reporter to cover Iowa State University football.

Our sports department leads the way in coverage of Iowa State athletics. We go beyond game coverage and tell the stories others won’t, and explore issues that affect Division I athletics. We delve into the human elements of the game, telling stories of the challenges players have overcome as they work to make their dreams come true.

The right candidate will cover ISU football in a growing, innovative, vibrant college town, and assist in covering area high school sports.

Our reporters shoot video, and lots of it, are active on social media engaging readers daily, and host podcasts.

The Ames Tribune has a national reputation for being the go-to place for Iowa State athletics and we aim to only get better.

Compelling, colorful writing is required, as is the ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines; and build the relationships necessary to develop the sources you will need to be successful.

If you are up to the challenge, please submit resume, cover letter explaining what you would bring to the job; examples of your video work; and five writing samples to sports editor Travis Hines at thines@amestrib.com. No phone calls please.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports writer

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This would be a fun gig and great place to get your feet good and wet. Decent paper. Decent town. There are much worse places to work. I'd apply if I didn't already have a college beat.

3. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Last Ames job I saw advertised pay for $20-25K. So there's that

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Also, hasn't this job been open several times in the past year? Or maybe it's felt like it

5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

They have a group of finalists that they've chosen.

6. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

And this was the eventual hire:

7. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I think it’s “slightly” different because job ad states ISU women’s basketball and preps. ISU football writer still there.

9. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

true

Draft saved Draft deleted