1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa primary predictions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bristol Insider, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Less than a month to go: Who wins Iowa and who drops out after the primary?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think it fair to say Obama and Huckabee win.

If Edwards finishes second, Hillary's suddenly looking at a Howard Dean collapse.

Saint Rudy of 9/11 is totally writing off Iowa, so it's between Huck and Mitt on the GOP side. Remember, Iowa is not a ballot system, and I think Huck has more grassroots support which will show up on caucus day.

I don't think anyone will drop out on either side until after New Hampshire since it's only a few days later.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

I predict that the winners in Iowa, on both sides, won't get a sniff at the actual Presidency. It's all about NH.

And if Huckabee somehow wins the nomination, I'm moving to Cuba.

4. Caucus, dude. Not primary. Which is why predictifyin' is such a crapshoot.
    I'll go long and say Edwards and the Mittster, by a nose over the Huck. Watching Rudy spin a fifth place finish will be the most fun, though.

5. statrat

statrat Member

Obama and Huckabee win Iowa, and if both come up with competitive finishes in New Hampshire, they can put themselves firmly in the driver's seat.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

To be quarantined? Do you have The AIDS, Jones?

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

No, but the idea of super-religious people in power scares the immunity system out of me.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The moment HRC loses in Iowa, all we'll hear is how the caucuses don't matter.

That's my prediction.

9. And shame on you if you believe it.
    Anyway, my spies tell me that Obama's organized in every damn hamlet in the state.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Obama and Romney are my picks. Huck is surging, but I don't think he'll close the deal, and I don't think he'll be a lot of people's second choice.

For the dems, the key is where those non-viable cacusers go for their second choice, and most spinning right now says that's a dead heat between the top three. Too close to call. Weather will be huge.

The University of Iowa dorms not being open is not good for Obama or Edwards.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And you would be right. Ever since he stepped foot in state, dude's campaign staffers have covered this place like whipped cream on a sundae. Obama set up shop in the East Village area and every store and bar knows his people by their first names.

His minions are everywhere, whereas HRC and Edwards have hardly moved out of their offices in the Riverbend industrial park area north of downtown.

Huckabee has helped his cause by moving his HQ from West Des Moines to downtown. His Iowa point person, Eric Woolson, is a former Waterloo Courier political writer and a nice guy to shoot the breeze with.

I don't have a pick yet (we're dealing with an ice/snow storm blowing through here all day), but I have a suspicion that most Iowans will go with the safe picks or a mild surprise. Farmers, from what I've been hearing are leaning towards Edwards and Huckabee. Barack and HRC hasn't been very impressive with the rural folks.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I did notice FOX NEWS not touting Iowa or New Hampshire in their primary countdown but touting Super Tuesday as the "big" day. Probably because Rudy isn't expected to do much until then.

Draft saved Draft deleted