1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa prep baseball umpire ejects ENTIRE crowd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090613/SPORTS08/906130343&s=d&page=3#pluckcomments

I would have LOVED to see this. Hopefully someone filmed it and leaks it to a local TV station.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I was the PA announcer for a game where this happened in IN a few weeks ago. Ump basically got a burr up his @$$ after taking a pitch off the knee, having to warn pitchers for throwing at people, and having to restrain himself from tossing one of the coaches who was screaming at him. Two rivals, league title on the line, lots of emotions, a little sniping from the students in attendance at both each other and his crew, and he just got fed up. My PA job after having to inform everyone they'd been ordered to leave was to basically do play by play so the fans standing in the parking lot knew what was going on.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I refereed basketball for 37 years and I was tempted on at least a dozen occasions to do just this. But I nver actually pulled the trigger...

The closest I ever came to this was accidental. In a very big game between two excellent high school teams - one of which would go on to win the state championship that year - my partner and I were being dogged on every call by an elderly gent at the end of the home team's bench. He had a voice that could be heard two zip codes away.

Just before halftime, he took exception to a blocking/charging call and called me - in his very loud voice and with clear elocution - that magic twelve-letter word that begins with the letter "M" and rhymes with "chicken plucker". I teed him up and tossed him out of the gym.

He was the principal of that high school...

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Todd Tichenor giggles.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Fixed, etc.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I have no doubt this was a severe overreaction on the umpire's part, but on the other hand, listening to crowds take their frustrations in life out on umpires and officials with disrespect they'd probably never display in a one-on-one conversation is really pathetic. It goes beyond garden-variety homerism into nonsensical invective that is socially accepted.

It's one reason why some associations are having trouble keeping officials' numbers up. The veteran officials I've talked to say crowd behavior is much worse now than its ever been. I wonder if we won't see situations like this more.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you knew Todd Tichenor, you'd know ... aww, nevermind.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

So Chef's real named is Don Briggs?

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The head of a crew I was on had to toss the entire crowd at a basketball game in Montgomery years ago because a fight broke out in the stands and lasted about 20 minutes.

It spilled over onto the court, and a few players got involved. We wound up with about 11 total players and coaches left in the gym.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Sounds like more than a few players got involved...

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was trying to be nice. :)

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

could i get his phone number from you?

Draft saved Draft deleted