1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa HS football coach shot and killed in the weight room

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Jun 24, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I couldn't help but to bring this one back up, with the ESPN giving the Thomas family the Ashe Courage award.

Secondly, I've wanted to reply back to your comment, Joe, but I let it go after that, but tonight was a good time to do and end this thread.

I know you're tired of society proclaiming noting being someone's fault. I never said that, no one said that. Becker was guilty of the crime he committed. That's a fact. No one was giving him a pass, god damn it. What came out of this was that even if Becker gunned down Thomas or not, a set of rules were needed.

There were none and a crime was committed. Becker doesn't get a free pass.

You got your answer.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice gesture. What is the "Ashe Courage" Award and when will it be presented?

3. CR19

CR19 Member

It was given last night at the ESPY's, and it's an award given out for courageous actions. The Thomas family received the award for having the courage to forgive the killer. I believe Nelson Mandela was given the award last year.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gotcha- thanks. Seems a shame that such a prestigious award is presented on such a frivolous show.

5. CR19

CR19 Member

I know. I remember the great speech that Jimmy Valvano gave when he was given the award. But, to be honest, there are few award shows that aren't frivolous.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

One could posit that giving out such awards at this show inherently make it not frivolous.

Also, with a large amount of sports heavyweights in attendance, it makes sense to give this award in front of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted