1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa HS football coach shot and killed in the weight room

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

ESPN is showing Aplington-Parkersburg first game live tonight. They're about to kickoff.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Armchair, I'm getting goose bumps and a little emotional. Thank God I'm an Iowan.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If you didn't shed a tear watching the scene the minutes before the game, you don't have a heart.
    And damn, they run that Wing-T well.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Nice coverage from Cedar Rapids and KCRG here: http://iowaprepsports.com

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The tunnel of former players was awesome.

And I can't imagine being the other team in a game like that.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In this case, the other team comes from towns just 15 miles down the road. It's safe to assume a lot of the kids on both sides know each other real well. Not sure if that makes it harder or easier on the visitors.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I guess it would have been worse if it was an out-of-state team.

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Jury is deliberating.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks Bumpy for bumping this. The trial lasted for a week and the jury received the case yesterday morning after final arguments.

If a verdict is reached (I'll be surprised if it comes today or tomorrow), everyone will know ASAP.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I haven't been following the trial. Did he plead not guilty, ie., saying he didn't do it, or is it a diminished capacity defense? And did they have to move the trial?

11. I believe he is pleading not guilty by reason of insanity. Though prosecutors are claiming the shooting was planned out.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

You have to plead not guilty in order to get a jury trial. He put on an insanity defense.

I would not want to be on that jury. There is a mountain of evidence that he both is a paranoid schizophrenic and that he meticulously planned out the attack. So the jury has to wrestle with the very difficult determination of whether he understood right from wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted