1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa Floods As Devastating As Katrina ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Iowa Floods As Devastating Than Katrina ?

Very good point. I agree on Iowa. Good people who work their asses off who know how to deal with situations like this.

I would not have said the same thing about the Katrina victims.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Then why are you making so many dumbass statements elsewhere on this thread?

Seriously, think about taking a break for a bit. You're coming off as way too stressed out and purposely belligerent.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The ones in Mississippi were like that. Tree fell in the road, they fired up the chainsaw and cut it. No water or gas? A lot of them drove up to Jackson and beyond to get the supplies they needed.
    As bad as Katrina was in Mississippi, they weathered it a lot better because of the rural, self-reliant, help-your-neighbor mentality. A lot of folks in New Orleans, in the city, waited for someone to bail them out. My wife has family in a small country town not far from where we live. That attitude is why, when the apocalypse comes, we're heading down there.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Instead of wasting their energy on looting Cedar Rapids, everyone seems to be focused on working together to get through the storm.

I've not read about a lot of civil disobedience.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There's nothing in Cedar Rapids worth stealing.

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

So now that you've made the point you've wanted to make when you first created this thread, can we all move along now?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I duuno - some of those restorations at Duffys are pretty sweet. Be nice to drive off in a '57 T Bird.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I would agree that you cannot compare tornado, hurricane and flood damage. You can however compare preparation, planning and reaction by government officials and residents.

Folks in Mississippi and Alabama seemed to handle the aftermath of Katrina quite well. The folks in charge of Louisiana and New Orleans failed their residents on an epic scale that hopefully will never be equalled.

As I've said before Ray Nagin and Kathleen Blanco could learn from Chet Culver and the mayors of DM, CR and Iowa City.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As devastating THAN?

I weep for your command of the English language.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That isn't the only thing to weep for.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Culver has done a great job, but the guy looks more like a HS football coach than a governor. I've been really impressed with the way he's handled this though.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wonder if Kanye thinks Bush blew up the Gulfport, Ill. levee too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.