1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa Caucus running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Neither has had sex in the last decade.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think I saw a poll that showed Tebow ahead of Bachmann in Iowa, actually.

3. Mizzougrad96

Actually, he's down 10 points with about four minutes left... :D

4. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

So I guess the democrats don't care either since their caucus rules work the same way. But don't let logic and facts get in the way of your blind ideology.

But thanks for the answer to my question in your first sentence -- private entities can hold their elections as they see fit. It's sometimes confusing to remember that all these primaries actually aren't run by the government like a real election.

Didn't really need the partisan crap that spewed after that.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They're even worse actually, with the 15% threshold to receive votes.

This anti-Iowa stuff is silly, if you're going to make it partisan. The "too white", "too rural", "too Christian" complaints are especially silly when you're talking about a GOP Primary. The GOP is white, rural, and Christian.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I am so sick of all the freakin' coverage for the past month-good thing that liberal media doesn't have an agenda. :)

Who is the first out? Mitt? I think he wins and takes New Hampshire and has a lot of momentum.

Ron Paul? Might continue on to New Hampshire and he has plenty of crazy to back him up.

Newt? Escapes (barely) and hopes to scratch by unt SC.

Santor has enough support among EvangelicAls to come out in the top three.

Unfortunately, I think the clock strikes midnight for poor Michelle.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The weirdest thing about the Iowa caucus rules for Republicans is that the vote for presidential nominee comes first, and only much later in the meeting do they actually elect delegates. It would be entirely possible to finish first in that vote and get no delegates because your supporters left early out of lack of knowledge of the rules, boredom, too old to stay up late, etc.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think as close as the polls have been in Iowa, Paul will win only because his followers are crazy-fanatical and will show up in force. I don't know what the Mitt threshold for success is — 20%?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is it any different for the Dems?

They're voting for delegates to the convention, right? And, they're not bound.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Parties don't have absolute control over their primaries. Otherwise the all white primaries of yore couldn't have been struck down.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, as I understand it, it is marginally different for the Democrats due to the really odd and awful lengthy winnowing process they go through in the voting, which I think is directly related to delegate apportionment, as why else do it?
    Both parties' processes are ridiculous, so it's bipartisan loopy love of complexity for its own sake. The guy who invented NFL passer ratings must've been heavily involved in Iowa politics.
    Dixie, primaries are elections and some U.S. and state laws apply. But here in Massachusetts, fer instance, the parties control who gets on the primary ballot, because they have a rule you have to get x percent of the vote for governor at the state party convention to qualify, and that's legal. So it's a mixed bag.

12. Mizzougrad96

Bachmann will likely be the most damaged if she doesn't do well today. Huntsman is looking ahead to NH and Gingrich and Perry care more about South Carolina, so this isn't as important to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted