1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa Caucus Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 3, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

She didn't get crushed as bad as Rudy did though.
    A bad day for New Yorkers in Iowa.

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Yeah, third place doesn't sit well for her going into New Hampshire....I'm intrigued to see how it'll affect her in the national polls. And how or if Guiliani's ignoring Iowa will affect his status nationally too.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Could someone smack those Iowa Democratic party heads around and get them to just go to a popular vote instead of these "delegate" counts?

4. NH's going to be a circus this weekend.
    I think McCain pretty much has to win there now -- Please don't tell me that his people expected to finish up the track behind Fred The Undead. If the national press corps wasn't so far in the tank, he'd be getting the Romney treatment tonight -- or he's got nowhere else to go, SC having been so kind to him last time. My favorite Matthews moment, other than "pissant" came when he said that 67 percent of the D's had voted against Hillary. Rachel Maddow, god love her lesbian soul, pointed out that the same could be said for all three frontrunners and that the stat was meaningless. Matthews then invented a new term "projectile victory," which had Olbermann confused. Great TV. By the way, using Matthews math, 86 percent of the GOP voted against John McCain.

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

From the Des Moines Register:

GOP
    1,160 of 1,781 precincts - 65 percent

Mike Huckabee 25,510 - 34 percent
    Mitt Romney 18,668 - 25 percent
    Fred Thompson 10,308 - 14 percent
    John McCain 9,891 - 13 percent

McCain still has an outside shot at catching Thompson yet...

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I like to see them even make the effort. Friend of mine is a HRC supporter. She texted me and admitted that this was a major blow.

Edwards is smelling like a rose by being tied for 2nd with HRC. And yeah, this doesn't look good for her at all.

See, Iowa isn't the lily white state many media jackasses (yes you Cindy Adams) think we are. We picked a brotha as a winner!

Joe, that's how the Iowa Dems work: they go by how # delegates for each candidate. The GOP just take a vote. Delegates are then selected to represent the candidate at the county conventions.

McCain may have an outside shot, but it may not be enough. He has to finish 2nd or win NH.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Man, I am excited to see Obama do this. Awesome to see barriers like that fall.

8. 200K at the D caucuses?
    Wowser.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

What happened to the TV jackoff with the younger wife?

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

Mr. Bastard, I agree that McCain has to win NH, and even before tonight, I felt like he would, but now I think he's going to win it by a landslide. I mean, he's in frigging Manchester right now.

And I still think he's going to win the whole thing -- not because I'm in his pocket, but because I've never been able to see any of these other guys winning it.

I'm beginning to fear that Florida is the state that will really matter.

And what the fuck is with Anderson Cooper's Tron Deadly Disc? That's just stupid.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Sounded like 200K at the R's as well.

Pretty fun night to be an Iowan (I'm such a fan boy!)

What TV jackoff with the younger wife? Is he a local or national?

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Huckabee's national visibility just rose.

Can you imagine HRC third? Ooooowee, will be that some spinnin' if it happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted