1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa Caucus Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 3, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It isn't a fine line. Anyone who lives in Iowa and will be old enough to vote by election day can caucus. That's the rule.The only people who were against it were Clinton's camp. The Democratic party has always stood for turning out as many votes as they could. That doesn't stop because young people aren't enthralled with Hillary Clinton. And by the way, if the tables were turned, and, say, David Yepsen had decided to write a column saying that snowbirds who only lived in Iowa during the summer but returned to caucus during the winter were perverting the process, what do you suppose the reaction would be?

At any rate, Obama would have won with or without the students. But I'm glad that so many of them decided to participate in the process. It's a good thing.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Seeing the young people getting involved is great to see. Its the same energy that sent Clinton to the White House in '92. As a fortysomething, I've usually been disappointed in how the younger generation approached the elections. Aside from the Clinton phenomenon and when MTV did the Get Out to Vote thing, they have been a non factor.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

This is the energy that sent Clinton to the White House in '92:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. The problem is that Michael Savage is crazier than a Loon.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you live some place for nine months out of the year, you're a resident. Why shouldn't out-of-state students be allowed to participate?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All the unbiased studies I read said Perot took votes away equally from Bush and Clinton.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is.

8. You're correct, Bat.
    And, anyway, the Electoral College was a landslide that year.
    Perot didn't cost 41 any states he was going to win anyway.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

You guys amaze me; where's your sense of humor? I thought female zombies was funny. Wish you hadn't used that picture of my Aunt Minnie, though.

Gack. "...unbiased studies..." Who's the ideologically neutral bias judge in these parts, F_B or Fenian?

At least we can all agree on Michael Savage.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

But are those same students voting in their home state as well?

Draft saved Draft deleted