1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa Caucus Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 3, 2008.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

There are some in our area who are quite hostile toward Mormons. That's part of the reason why Romney stayed away from the area.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

NBC called it around 8pm EST that Huck is declared the winnah! It's early, but this is a huge boost for Edwards if he keeps up in the numbers. It may clearly show that the Dems are just as uncertain about who they are hitching their wagons to.

41% in for the R's
    70% in for the D's
    (courtesy of KCCI-TV)

Just watching the Dems over at Merrill Middle School (in the South of Grand affluent neighborhood) and it's controlled chaos, but very well-mannered and respectful.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Any truth to the rumor that Republicans crossed over and voted for Obama just for the purpose of giving Hillary an early defeat?

4. JBHawkEye

From the early AP story:

Clinton, Obama and Edwards had all urged voters to consider them if their own candidate fell short. Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio publicly urged his backers to line up with Obama on a second round, and two Democrats said aides to New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson did likewise as the caucuses unfolded. Those two spoke on condition of anonymity, citing private discussions.

Little bit surprised Richardson didn't throw his support behind Hillary.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

An Obama win coupled with a Clinton third-place effort... awesome. :)

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

This is pretty simple-minded of me, but it seems that the most politician politicians -- Clinton and Romney -- suffered for their creepiness in Iowa.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To add to JB, the Mormons used to live in that area around Burlington IA and Nauvoo, IL circa 1838.  Things were so dicey that the regular folks went after the Mormons and Joseph Smith.  IIRC, Smith was murdered and the Mormons headed west to Utah.  About five years ago, one of the Mormon church houses was refurbished and opened to the public.  Pal of mine said it was jawdropping to see, since it was so historical and huge.  

To answer your question Joe:  yes and no.  Some may have done it to cockblock Hillary.  Some switched because they really respect Obama and like his proposals and that he's geniune in their minds.  

8. JBHawkEye

Actually, you're right.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Anyone know how Radar O'Reilly's district/county voted?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hillary got crushed.

No way to spin this.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

My caucus was still going on as I left -- two hours later. Didn't start until 40 minutes late. Interesting, though, as it was my first. I thought it was kinda fun but I've been apolitical for quite some time and I felt I should be a part of things on ground zero/front line/whatever other cliche you prefer.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm sure they'll try.

Draft saved Draft deleted