1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa and Southern Miss in Logo Dispute

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Out of all the high schools in my little town north of Houston, there are at least three schools that were told to cease and desist. One had the W from Wisconsin, one had the tiger from Missouri and the other had a W from some school I cannot remember.

And I am not talking about similar logos. These things were exactly the same to anyone that looked at them.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Did any change the W to Dubya?

3. A few years ago, Notre Dame bullied several high schools, including Cathedral in Indianapolis, to stop using its leprechaun logo. I think they went after some schools about use of the "Fighting Irish" nickname, too. Kind of cold-blooded when it came to Cathedral in Indy; I think the university and the high school are closely related in their backgrounds.

4. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Back in 2003, Miami sent a cease and desist to the Umatilla (FL) High School Bulldogs for using the "U" logo.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

A high school in our area recently got slapped with a letter from Duquesne to stop using their dude with a top hat logo, including the one that covers about half of the brand new field turf they had installed ahead of the new season. They were told to have it gone by the home opener. This particular school can afford it, but I don't know if that's even possible. I think I'd just go out with field paint and slap some horns on the guy and a big "FYD" over it and say it's different. It's a crappy logo, so if I was one of their fans I'd write Duquesne a thank you letter.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For some reason, I don't remember the Cowboys doing that.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Wisconsin was, according to a 2008 Wisconsin State Journal article, suing dozens of schools using its Motion W logo. The NYT did a story on this a few months ago, I think.

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Clemson's paw logo has a notch in it so they can tell easily if someone's taking a direct pull.

[​IMG]

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

A lot of colleges are sending the cease and desist letters and cracking down on people using their art. The NFL, meanwhile, has been creating licensing packages where schools can agree to use their marks for a fee.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

In our state, there are at least 6-8 that directly use Clemson's paw on their helmets (can't verify the notch) even to the point of being orange and white.

11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt it - there's probably hundreds, if not thousands, of paw logos in high schools around the country. I'm just saying Clemson purposely put the notch in its logo as an easy way to see if it was being pulled.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Another Texas high school got busted by Washington State a few years back.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2007/dec/12/no-headline---cooper/

Draft saved Draft deleted