1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Invisible Child' (NYT series on impoverished child/family)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 9, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We can't do better than we did at the turn of the last century?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No, we can't. Over the last 50 years America has decided it's a lot more "compassionate" to treat symptoms and let the diseases run out of control.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You obviously haven't met the same people I have. It does occur, but not necessarily at the hands/loins of stupid people.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Would feel better about this story if the NYT did not overpromote it on social media and get a placement on every major political news show. The timing for this release is curious.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Eli Saslow profiles a family on food stamps.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2013/12/15/waiting-for-the-8th/

More parental pride in this story, for those whose middle class moral compasses require that. Still no "American dream" entry points.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You criticizing other people for moralizing may be the most ironic post in the history of this board, and that's saying something.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Who'd I criticize? We all have moral compasses. The ones defined by middle class values are particularly sensitive to folks who don't make good decisions or work hard enough or somehow offend the valueholder's idea of self-makesmanship.

My moral compass must seem enormously wrongheaded and frustrating to you.

8. Dick Whitman

Aren't you against gay marriage?

Mostly what's frustrating to me is that you frequently assign motives and values to others not in the record of their posts or stances.

We're just different, and that's OK. You're a moral scold, and quite rigid. I'm a nuts-and-bolts policy guy. I don't care about people's motives at all.

In a way, though, you don't frustrate me at all. I find you refreshing. I think back to the gay marriage thread, in which oop got very angry with me because I would not give people dispensation for basing their anti-gay marriage stance in Scripture. There was some similar angst when I've said that I believe spanking children is always wrong for everybody. On some issues, I believe that there are indeed some right answers. And so do you. We just have some different right answers.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Which motives and values were those?

It's a message board. Inference is part and parcel of it.

10. Dick Whitman

Some might call it misdirection.

It often proceeds like this:

Someone makes a policy argument. You imply that they have questionable values/morals/ethics. You don't address the policy argument.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Which policy argument?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Middle class follows Bill Bennetts moral compass.

Draft saved Draft deleted