1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Invictus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

A film editor buddy of mine who lives in LA saw it screened last week and said it was terribly so-so.

DISAPPOINTMENT!

I thought this was gonna be a big Oscar contender.

Somebody explain to me how Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon can miss.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I still have high expectations for it. Those three names you mention make me give the movie the benefit of the doubt over your friend, who sounds like he might have a bit of Comic Book Guy in him. I really liked the book. A brother-in-law was a really good rugby player in South Africa and I know the rest of the family there is really looking forward to it.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, when I saw the trailer for it and saw that Morgan Freeman was going to play Nelson Mandela, the thought occurred to me, "There's another Oscar nomination for Morgan!"

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Saw the commercial for this and wondered - maybe someone here knows - is his hand still fucked up from the crash? Last time I saw him, he was still wearing some sort of cast thing, was keeping his arm outta sight. Remember reading somewhere that it might be a permanent disability.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Brad Renfro would've made it an Oscar certainty.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Here's the feel-good South African rugby movie of the year:

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bumping, now that the movie is hitting the screens.

My old boss just texted me and says he's got his jersey and is ready to roll.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Saw Freeman and Eastwood on Today today. Freeman had something on his hand, some kind of wrap but it did not look like a cast.
    The Today segment was enjoyable. I'll give the movie a whirl.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Freeman as Mandela is pretty much guaranteed a best actor nomination, right?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I dunno. Every time I see an ad for Invictus it makes me thinks it's Victory II: Apartheid Boogaloo.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

The film will be good for USA Rugby. If memory serves, South Africa toured the U.S. to get ready for the World Cup in 1995. I think they played a match in Houston, and another in Chicago, and there were a few more, but my information is word of mouth and pretty sketchy. Anybody need a good enterprise story, go ahead and run with it and let us know what you find out.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Among other awards.... like the Lazarus,
    Has Tigervols not seen this or is he conspicious by his absence?

Draft saved Draft deleted