1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Investigative reporter - Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune ... BEST. AD. EVER.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by fishbulb, Mar 16, 2011.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb New Member

A friend forwarded me this, and I had to share. Writer says the job ad is real and went out on a listserv ... but, even if it's not, it's a good read.

http://afewtastefulsnaps.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/award-winning-journalism-job-post/

We want to add some talent to the Sarasota Herald-Tribune investigative team. Every serious candidate should have a proven track record of conceiving, reporting and writing stellar investigative pieces that provoke change. However, our ideal candidate has also cursed out an editor, had spokespeople hang up on them in anger and threatened to resign at least once because some fool wanted to screw around with their perfect lede.

We do a mix of quick hit investigative work when events call for it and mini-projects that might run for a few days. But every year we like to put together a project way too ambitious for a paper our size because we dream that one day Walt Bogdanich will have to say: “I can’t believe the Sarasota Whatever-Tribune cost me my 20th Pulitzer.” As many of you already know, those kinds of projects can be hellish, soul-sucking, doubt-inducing affairs. But if you’re the type of sicko who likes holing up in a tiny, closed office with reporters of questionable hygiene to build databases from scratch by hand-entering thousands of pages of documents to take on powerful people and institutions that wish you were dead, all for the glorious reward of having readers pick up the paper and glance at your potential prize-winning epic as they flip their way to the Jumble… well, if that sounds like journalism Heaven, then you’re our kind of sicko.

For those unaware of Florida’s reputation, it’s arguably the best news state in the country and not just because of the great public records laws. We have all kinds of corruption, violence and scumbaggery. The 9/11 terrorists trained here. Bush read My Pet Goat here. Our elections are colossal clusterfucks. Our new governor once ran a health care company that got hit with a record fine because of rampant Medicare fraud. We have hurricanes, wildfires, tar balls, bedbugs, diseased citrus trees and an entire town overrun by giant roaches (only one of those things is made up). And we have Disney World and beaches, so bring the whole family.

Send questions, or a resume/cover letter/links to clips to my email address below. If you already have your dream job, please pass this along to someone whose skills you covet. Thanks.

Matthew Doig

Sarasota Herald-Tribune
    1741 Main St.
    Sarasota FL, 34236
    (941) 361-4903
    matthew.doig@heraldtribune.com

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Dave McSwane, the author of the infamous "F*** Bush" editorial is on that staff.

Even if you disagree with his politics, he's one of the good, young enterprise guys.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Sheen-esque. Fail.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Wonder how much it pays to work in journalism heaven, wander through the school where Bush read My Pet Goat, build databases by hand, etc.

Oh, that's right, this job's all about the glory of sticking it to The Man on a daily basis. Pay not important ... ::)

5. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Wait is this real?

(I guess I could do some investigation and answer the question myself, but ...)

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I text a friend at this paper earlier today and he asked what I was talking about.

7. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

I watch "America's Most Wanted." Half the show emanates from Florida. Lot of crime down there.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Real. Written by the son of one of my professors.

Draft saved Draft deleted