1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

investigative journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writing irish, Jul 24, 2008.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Half the time, investigative journalism can also be called "Reading all the shit no one else wants to take the time to read."

I'm consistently amazed by the number of reporters who don't want to read -- anything. Very few times have I broken a story because I stumbled upon "Top Secret" documents. It's always because I read some shit that pretty much anyone could've read.

Of course, it also helps to know what you're entitled to see. That's where some of the aforementioned guides and books come in. But I'd also hook up with your state's press association. Most states have different rules relating to open records and open meetings.

My advice in the meantime, though: If you want something and you're unsure if you're actually entitled to it, FOI it anyway. You wouldn't believe the shit I've submitted FOI forms for. You also wouldn't believe the number of times people have honored those requests when they didn't have to.

Also, figure out who your paper's attorney is. You're gonna need him, especially when you start dealing with state and federal entities. They've got tax money aplenty and they have no qualms about spending it on attorneys' fees.

Oh, and you're gonna have to be an asshole sometimes. People are not gonna want to give you what you want. They're not gonna be helpful most of the time. They're gonna try to stall and discourage you. They might even try to intimidate you. None of that is fun. But it also lets you know that you're on to something.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks, all, for some great information on this thread.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. It's always been about sources for me, WI. Find people who are in the know, let them know without shame what you're looking for and don't be afraid to chase down a few loose ends. People will feed you stories if they know you'll pursue them.

Of course, none of this is mutually exclusive. There's been other good advice on here, but I'd be no where without sources.

4. I don't know. Sometimes I think so-called investigative reporting can be done WITHOUT so-called sources, which is what is so great about it. You don't have to grease skids or massage a source as much as you have to just get a shovel and start digging. There's a world of information out there for you - you just have to know where to find it and what it means.

Draft saved Draft deleted