1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Into The Wild

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Oct 29, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd been waiting to see this movie for months but didn't want to pay $20 for the DVD (I rarely pay that much for any movie). Finally bit the bullet yesterday and bought it and I'm so glad I did. What an amazing movie.

It was great how, as the viewer, we saw how happy he was and how happy he made others when he was with them, but how badly he hurt them every time he left. Considering how, early in the film, he talked about how people hurt each other every day and he couldn't understand how they could do that, I thought that was quite poignant.

Seeing him kind of figure out what he'd been doing to people and how happiness is "best when it's shared," but not having a chance to capitalize on that lesson was heartbreaking.

SPOILER!!!!!

Hal Holbrook was excellent and I just died for him when he asked Hirsch to be his grandson and Hirsch asked if they could talk about it when he got back from Alaska. The look on Holbrook's face was pure devastation.

Keener and the guy who played Rainey were great, too.

I wanted to see this movie largely because I bought the soundtrack and loved it, and I'm glad I did.

Between this and Mystic River, Penn has built up some bank with me.

2. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Penn is an all-around great talent, no? He's always been one of my favorite actors.

3. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

Oh man,,,where the fuck do I start!!! I went to MSG-Mansfield2.
    I was in the third floor for both MSG, and hardly see them but the energy and atmosphere was unbelievable. Ed mentioned both retired Rangers, Brian Leech and Mark Messieh(spell check??- sorry not a big hockey fan :p) They played "All Night" and "WMA"(full version) with 3 MSG workers. However, the setlist were very similar but the fucking crowd was just unbelievable. Kudos to New Yorkers and MSG audiences.

Then I thought Hartford would be a letdown, guess what I, along with thousand of people, were wrong. Best show of the tour in many fans' opinions. After opening with "Can't Keep" they broke out "Breakerfall" and my eyes nearly pop out of my socket. I knew then we were in for a surprise classic show. Only bad thing thing is they started an hour late. :(

The Mansfield shows, were great to its own as well. Ed did a preset of "Throw Your Arms Around me" in night one and the crowd reaction to "Betterman" was surreal. Night two was amazing as well with the setlist with "Wash" as opener and they also brought out "Satan's Bed" and "Bee Girl" as well.

Man, what a fucking tour! My advice is to attend as many PJ shows as possible because each has their own greatness to it. can't wait to do more!

Ed Vedder Leg 2 2008 Tour is in August. Not Pearl Jam but it's still Eddie in more intimate venues.
    Mostly Northeast and mid-west area as usual... ;)

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Saw this, after some delay.
    The movie was beautiful to watch. Just really pretty.
    It was interesting that in the movie, everywhere the kid goes, people try to take him in, try to keep him and he pushes on.
    I did some interweb research and the AV Club does a book vs. movie review and the movie doesn't explain many of the little mysteries that pop up, like why the hell was a city transit bus sitting in the Alaskan wilderness.
    The book explained all that — it was left behind by a road construction crew. Nor did the movie explain that an escape route, around the river, was near the bus but that he didn't find it.
    Hal Holbrook's character was portrayed accurately in the film, but after he learned of the death, he rejected God and became an alcoholic. The same is mostly true for his parents.
    What wasn't explained, and I still don't know, is that he did love his sister, but then, why didn't he tell her or have any communication with her?
    That seems puzzling to me.
    Anyway, good film. I really enjoyed it.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Because he knew his sister would have tipped his whereabouts to someone, anyone, and he wanted to be completely under the radar.

If the movie had stayed totally true to the book it would have been nine hours long, and I would have watched every minute. Advantage, words.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Incredible movie, incredible soundtrack.

I cannot WAIT for the Tillman book.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Jon had pulled his manuscript from the publisher. He wasn't happy with it, so the publication date will be pushed back.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Indeed. I was a little disappointed that a longer length director's cut isn't out yet.
    And the funny thing is, the book really isn't that long. A little over 200 pages if I remember correctly and you're right, a true to the book version would have been nine hours. I almost wish Penn would make a followup that dealt with the aftermath. That would be cool.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Does the book ever explain what the guy played by Vince Vaughn in the movie was arrested for? It's inconsequential to the movie, but it left me curious.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

illegal satellite cards

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I enjoyed reading Into the Wild, and I recently picked up Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven." Great read so far about Mormon fundamentalism in the context of history and the murder of a woman and her young child by two fundamentalist brothers.

Draft saved Draft deleted